24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

p1688 & p0216

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok , when i turn the key on i hear nothing. I bump the starter and all i hear is a click. The pump isn't runng.
What's this FASS system you're talking about? Luckily i have another truck to use. The Dodge is still sitting with a pile of snow around her after this weekend.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Jim,

Having spent many years in the electronics field, I always take a systematic approach to troubleshooting. Therefore, I'd solve your lift pump issue PRIOR TO making a final decision on the VP44.

I just resurrected my old factory lift pump from my shop to aid in my descriptions (and MAN, does it bring back some dark memories). Anyway, there's a small two-conductor wiring harness coming out of the sealed rubber grommet pressed into the top of your factory lift pump [one red lead and one black lead]. If you follow this wiring harness away from the lift pump, you'll quickly come to a grey terminal plug. If you disconnect this terminal plug, the other end will give you access to the contacts used to pass the DC signals to your lift pump [LP].

Employing a DC voltmeter, you should receive 12VDC [or thereabout] when you turn the ignition key to the accessories detent AND when you bump the starter. The cycle lengths of these voltages were described in my previous reply, so I'll omit that here.

If you're getting the proper LP cycle voltages at that point in the harness, first try cleaning the grey plug out with alcohol and some cotton swabs. If the LP still doesn't run, it's more than likely dead and requires replacement.

If you're not getting the proper LP cycle voltages at that point in the harness, you've got an electrical issue of some sort. But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

In either case, I'd get the LP up and running PRIOR TO deciding on the VP44 [IP].

As for the FASS; it's a self-contained pump/filtration unit that's mounted toward the rear of your truck (near your fuel tank). Not only does this design totally eliminate the poorly designed lift pump system DC sold you with your truck, but it essentially PUSHES filtered fuel directly to your VP44 as opposed to the long PULL the factory LP has to make from the fuel tank to the engine compartment. The FASS [Fuel Air Separation System] is also described in the following quote I foung using Google search:

I'll add my thoughts to the good info that's already been provided. The FASS is: an electronic transfer pump/spin-on filter/spin-on water separator [which is drainable]/air removal system.

One of the best things about this design is that it's intended to be mounted at the rear of the truck [as close to the tank as possible]. If you think about it, a short pull from the tank [with the FASS] is preferable to the very long pull the engine-mounted factory lift pump has to make. As the FASS is near the tank, it essentially PUSHES clean, air-free, fuel directly to the VP44.

Let's face it, with a 24v CTD, it's all about lubricating the VP44. Therefore, when it comes to choosing the BEST way to accomplish this, think long and hard. I can tell you from experience, once you're out of warranty, a bad VP44 is like a black hole hitting your savings account.

I wrote the quote above some time ago, and I still feel that it's a great alternative to the factory design. If you need more info on this, or any other aspect of the fuel system, I'd be glad to help. Regardless, do post what you found regarding your lift pump [LP] issue.

Have a great day,
Bill
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 AM

yes, when i bump the starter, i can here the lift pump run but it sounds like it's dieing. up and down noises, slow then fast. Little gerble sounds. I think the pump is shot. I reset the codes and turn the truck over and receive the p1688 code again.

thanks,
Jim
Old 01-25-2005, 12:19 PM

Jim,

Typically, the LP changes tone as it cavitates, while gaining/losing prime. You seem to be convinced it's bad, so replace it. Regardless, my two cents is that you go about this systematically--one thing at a time.

I still think it's only right to point out, once again, that the DC fuel system design has definite flaws. Therefore, by replacing factory components with OEM parts, you're restoring a system that will probably fail prematurely.

I assume you've done your homework on this already, but, if you haven't, use the search function and the phrases "lift pump," "LP," "injection pump," "IP" or "VP44." My feeling is that you will receive an inordinate number of cases to support my point. If you think about it, the number of users on this forum would be reduced substantially if it weren't for the fueling issue alone.

By the way, did you read about the FASS? This is only one alternative that totally eliminates the flawed lift pump design and, therefore, keeps your [very expensive] VP44 constantly lubricated. There are other alternatives out there as well.

Keep me posted,
Bill
Old 01-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Bill,

Thanks again. I went outside today and disconnected the plug on top of the LP. Had the boy turn the key and i measured 12.6v on the connector. Bumped the starter and it measured for a short period of time.

The lift pump would be bad. Thanks for the advice. Now you were talking about the FASS system. Where can i research this at ? Also, when i replase the LP with a FASS or OEM can i try to fire up the truck without replacing the VP44 or will the possible bad VP44 damage the new system?
Jim,

Although I've read some opinions concerning a possible tie between VP44 stator pulsing and LP failure, in my opinion, I wouldn't be too concerned about replacing the LP with an OEM part or an alternative system PRIOR TO replacing the VP44. Even if there is a tie, this damage would occur over many miles, and over a long period of time. You'll be done with this project long before you'll have to worry about anything like that. Regardless, the FASS has a very heavy duty electric pump that will supply either 95 gph or 150 gph [your choice], so you certainly don't have to worry about if you opt for a FASS (mine has always run like a champ, even when my VP44 was down).

As I've read some interesting text regarding this forum's policies, I'll PM you to arrange for a private discussion concerning the specifics of my system. Please keep in mind that I'm simply a CTD owner sharing views and personal experiences: I receive NOTHING from any entity selling products relating to this technical issue [DISCLAIMER FOR THOSE SEEING THEMSELVES AS BUSINESSMEN--Geez!]

Have a great one
Old 02-05-2005, 08:06 PM

Bill, the lift pump is bad, no fuel coming out. I ordered the oem replacement along with the VP44 through cumminstuff.com. It should be here monday afternoon. The price for the vp44 was $975.00 and the lift pump was 125.00 plus 24.00 shipping and a 400.00 core charge. I don't have the money right now for the FASS system but it does look like one hell of a product.
I will keep you all up to date this week on the replacement. I did however try to remove the VP44 today and let me tell you, if you don't have the proper gear puller for the pump, what a pain in the *** to jury rig a small puller. I managed with (2) 8mm 1.25 pitch bolts and a 1/2 piece of steel bar with 2 holes drilled thru her.

Jim
Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jjsj38
Bill, the lift pump is bad, no fuel coming out. I ordered the oem replacement along with the VP44 through cumminstuff.com. It should be here monday afternoon. The price for the vp44 was $975.00 and the lift pump was 125.00 plus 24.00 shipping and a 400.00 core charge. I don't have the money right now for the FASS system but it does look like one hell of a product.
I will keep you all up to date this week on the replacement. I did however try to remove the VP44 today and let me tell you, if you don't have the proper gear puller for the pump, what a pain in the *** to jury rig a small puller. I managed with (2) 8mm 1.25 pitch bolts and a 1/2 piece of steel bar with 2 holes drilled thru her.

Jim
A steering wheel puller works great, used it several times...
Old 02-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Hey guys, thanks for your help on this project. Monday the pumps came UPS and i installed them last night. Took about 3 hrs to assemble after i spent about 5 hrs disassembling. taking my time and making mental notes. The gear puller i made by taking a 7/16" piece of steel and drilling 3 holes thru it. The center hole i put a 1" long 8mm bolt and secured it with a nut. The outter two holes were for the 8mm - 1.25 bolts to thread int the gear. I cut the piece of steel small enough to fit thru the opening of the breather which is about 3 1/2 to 4" diameter.

The lift was definitely bad but i have my doubts on the VP44. Even though i was reading P1688 code. Who knows, maybe they both were bad.

Anyway, thanks for all of your responses to this post and this is one hell of a forum.