24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

p1688 & p0216

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p1688 & p0216

My truck died yesterday and these are the codes i'm reading. p1688 and po216. Is there anyway i can troubleshoot this problem ??
Please help, stranded
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 AM

0216 is the Injection Pump, can't tell you what the other one is, I lost my list.

Tom
Old 01-12-2005, 08:21 AM

P1688 is Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure
P0216 is Fuel Injection Pup timing Failure.

This is what my cheet sheet sez.
Good Luck

Davey
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Banned

Time for a new injection pump buddy. Sorry.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Yup

Big Blue is right, your injection pump is gone. You'll be getting symptoms like dead pedal syndrome soon, if it doesn't outright quit.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:39 AM

need advice

ok, it seems like i need the injection pump. Now that the truck is dead and won't start, to verify the pump, is there a test i can do to make sure it's not electrical and definitely the pump??

thanks for the help guys
Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 AM

the codes are your verification....the pcm/ecm doesnt lie...
Old 01-14-2005, 07:59 PM

does anyone know where i can purchase a remanufactured one? I guess this the way to. Or should i just purchase a new one?
Truck's been down since Tuesday.

Thanks!

jim
Old 01-20-2005, 06:08 PM

Hello Jim,

Many apologies for not getting back to you sooner--I've been tied up with work. Did you get the two replies I sent?

OK, the initial information you're supplying definitely indicates a VP44 related malfunction. As our CTDs are practically identical, I can offer one suggestion if you want to make dead sure before splashing out [literally] for a replacement VP44.

If you want to take that long, lonely, ride to your closest Cummins service center, you can have them test your VP44. To do this, they remove the factory ECM wiring harness connector from your VP and replace it with a harness attached to a Cummins IP testing apparatus.

Although I have the Cummins number on file, let's just call this thing a VP44 test box. In short, it isolates the injection pump from your ECM and can vary the type of timing signals the pump receives [high or low idle, typically]. If your engine still runs poorly [or not at all] after this thing is installed, you know the VP44 has to be replaced. Obviously, they also perform the obligatory pressure and/or volume tests as well [which I assume you already did].

In case the thought crossed your mind--as it did mine--the injector timing control circuit is integral to the VP44. It is not typically user serviceable, so even if it has something to do with your problem, I'm sorry to write that you won't be able to replace it yourself.

As it seems that my PMs aren't getting to you, write to me on this thread if you still need further specific information on where you can get a VP44. I checked into it, and my source can supply the pump at a good price. All we need is your engine serial number, which is located on a placard mounted to the driver's side of your timing gear cover. It also wouldn't hurt to get verify your model year as well [which I seem to recall as 1999].

Hope this helps you,
Bill
Old 01-20-2005, 06:49 PM

The people at cumminsstuff.com are good to deal with, I got my reman for under a grand.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:26 AM

jjsj38,

Don't think "new" are available, re-man is the only option.

Just out of curiosity, what color is your pump? black or silver.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:44 AM

Thanks Ram, i just read your post. I've been a little out of the loop. For me to tow it the shop is about 60 mi. and 275.00 dianostic check. I think i'll just buy the pump. ( But, before i order it, i found that the lift pump doesn't run when i turn the key on. Should i just replace the lift pump first.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just turning the key on won't do it.... you have to "bump" the starter to trigger the lift pump cycle.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

You should hear the lift pump run for about a second if you turn the key to on and leave it there. It primes itself when it does this.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:40 AM

jjsj38 wrote on <b>Today</b> 09:45 AM:
Thanks, Ram, i just read your post. I've been a little out of the loop. For me to tow it the the shop is about 60mi. and 275.00 dianostic check. I think i'll just buy the pump. ( But, before i order it, i found that the lift pump doesn't run when i turn the key on. Should i just replace the lift pump first.
Jim,

Considering the expense involved, I'd probably 86 the trip to Cummins as well.

By the way, I'm with Big Blue here, you should hear your lift pump run for a very brief period [approx 0:02] when the key is moved to the accessories detent. If you "bump" the starter, on the other hand, the lift pump cycle will be longer [approx 0:25]. Are you saying that neither is occuring?

Also, my own fueling issues were such a nightmare that I decided to abandon all the factory components (literally). Other than the shell of the fuel tank module, and the high pressure injection lines, EVERYTHING in my system has been replaced (including the fuel lines and all the electrical wiring). As much work as I had to do, it simply didn't make any sense to leave anything as it was.

IMHO, the factory lift pump system is one of those "just a matter of time" type designs. Having this opinion, I opted for a FASS and, after some minor tweeking to it, I haven't looked back since [never falls below 14.5 psi]. If you wish to stay with the factory design, I'd like to read whether or not you're receiving the proper lift pump cycles--as mentioned in the first paragraph--before I give you my two cents.

I'd also be interested in knowing if you've performed the standard volume and/or pressure tests? If you're not getting the proper cycles from the ECM, however, testing this will be a bit more tricky.

Standing by,
Bill

Quick Reply: p1688 & p0216