24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P0720 no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0720 no power

Good morning all, I need some help. 2000 2500 ram, auto tranny, fass 95/150, no power adders. Trans wouldn't shift out of first, code p0720 and p1693. Went to Auto Zone and bought speed sensor. Truck shifts fine now, but now when going down the road, it feels like someone has put the brakes on, no power, and the same codes. I have replaced the sensor 2 more times under parts warranty, same symptoms. I Disconnected the batteries and then reset the apps, drove the truck for 20 miles, no problem, runs great. My wife takes it to work this morning, coasting down a hill, the c.e.l. comes on, she steps on the go pedal, no power again. I will check the codes tonight.

Any ideas. Thanks for any help......
Old 07-31-2009, 03:44 PM

Well, wuite a few people looked at my post, but no help. Here's what I did. I replaced the speed sensor for the 3rd or 4th time, no more p0720 code, but still no power. After much research through the various threads, I tried cleaning the MAP and IAT sensors. I re-installed them, drove the truck, and it ran like a champ for about 100 miles.

The check engine light came back on, and the truck has no power again. I did the key trick, and all that comes up is p1693 and then pdone. I don't have a scanner, so I'll go back to Autozone and have them scan for codes this time and see what comes up. The truck was running better than it ever has after cleaning those sensors..........
Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 PM

just curious as to what sensors you replaced in the first post? as my trans wont shift out of 1st either, i was thinking to replace the Govenor solenoid, and transducer, and while I am in there the OD solenoid. BTW my truck does the same thing, I noticed it happens alot to the point when it happens I had unhook the grounds reinstll them the the truck will shift, until i shut the truck off then it does it again,

then somedays it shifts perfect. no ned to unhook grounds,

I just replaced the APPS a few monthes ago.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM

The sensor that I replaced the output speed sensor on the drivers side rear of the transmission. It has a 2 wire harness. I went to Auto Zone, and bought the switch for $16.99 plus tax. The frst 2 sensors that I put in were bad out-of-the-box. The thisrd one was from a different batch, different numbers on the plastic housing, and that did the trick.

I have a second problem going on with the lack of power. I cleaned the MAP and IAT sensors with carb cleaner, and it drove fine for about 100 miles, and went into limp mode again. The gut at Auto Zone that checked the codes for me said that carb cleaner will leave a residue. So I bought some mass air flow sensor cleaner, and will pull the sensors again today, and clean them. If this takes care of it fine, if not, I'll have to buy news sensors.

I hope the speed sensor takes care of your problem!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 PM

well i already replaced that maybe mine is bad also although I got it from the dealer I also just replaced the govenor pressure sensor and transducer still didnt fix the problem not happy