24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Overhead console CCD and random high idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overhead console CCD and random high idle

My overhead console is showing CCD on all functions except the one that shows a time . Now if i let truck idking it will sometimes go up into high idle even if it is 50f outside. I checked all grounds i could find and they were all clean. Any ideas on what i can do ? Will it leave me stranded on road?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
For the overhead console, it has the Compass Mini Trip Computer inside it. That gets some of its information from the PCM over the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) bus. Sounds like yours has lost communications with the PCM. Here's a test you can do. With the ignition OFF, press and hold the trip and reset buttons on the overhead console. Turn the ignition on and continue to hold the buttons until the overhead display lights up with all the digits lit up. The overhead computer goes into self diagnostic and will give you PASS, FAIL, or CCD. The service manual is vague on what to do if you get a fail or CCD message, except to refer to the Diagnostics manual to troubleshoot further.

For the high idle, is this with the engine cold or already warm?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do the test as Jr explained.
do you have any codes? and you said it goes into high idle.
do you have high idle enabled on your truck?

IAT sensor , wouldn't hurt to pull that and clean it and do a check to see if
Values are correct.

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT Sensor)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:49 AM

Yes i have high idle installed, and yes it goes into high idle when engine warm. Not always but a few times this week already. I thought maybe if it can't record outside air temp maybe it faulted to high idle. Thanks for the tips, i will check codes and display codes today.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:40 AM

not just codes that may show on the overhead but talking about codes on the ECM and PCM. using a scan tool or doing the ignition key cyle trick.
post up what you find today
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 AM

been having lighted up engine on dash...mayb just needs oil change?
Old 05-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
In this section https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...es-faq-110571/ is a list of parameters that have to be met in order for the high idle function to come on. Knowing these parameters will help you pinpoint which one is not doing its job. It helped me figure out why mine was acting up.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cguyfish
No, the 2nd gen trucks never included any systems to monitor oil life and tell you when to change it. That light is telling you there is an active trouble code stored in one of the computers (Dodge PCM and/or Cummins ECM).

Do the key trick (ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON) and then watch the odometer window. It will give you the whatever codes are stored in either computer. write them down and post them here and we'll be able to point you in a good direction. This could be related to the high idle problem you are having.

The outside air temp sensor only feeds the overhead console. The ECM/PCM mainly uses the intake air temp (IAT), and the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensors to trigger both the grid heaters, the high/idle, and 3 cylinder idle.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by cguyfish
sorry
Old 05-15-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Not to be a bummer on this one, but when mine did that I lost the ECM about a week later, no high idle, but "ccd" on the overhead and an occasional light up of all idiot lights then dead in the water....
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM

Did the key check, and odometer showed P0500 than Done.... Held the buttons on overhead display and when i let go it went to CCD. Runs really great otherwise. No high idle today which there shouldn,t be with this heat outside.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:57 PM

Could just be your IAT as sug't,,,IIRC deep 13/16" socket
Old 05-16-2015, 10:15 PM

Would the IAT sensor make the fuel mileage show CCD also?
Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 PM

I do not know, since there is no intake temperature readout or idiot light ,I would guess not.
The main provider of info for the overhead comes from the ECM, ie DTE, trip odometer, fuel economy, engine run time. The temp and compass may come from something else.

The Ccd is a communication issue and may be software induced from the ECM.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Almost all functions other than temp/compass and the trip timer, requires communication with the PCM over the CCD bus. If that link is broken, then no fuel mileage and odometer readings will work.

P0500 is a speed sensor code. Mopar1973Man's article explains this one:

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Antilock Braking System (ABS)

Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Since 4 wheel anti lock brakes rely on 2 front axle sensors and 1 rear wheel sensor. The CAB (Controller Anti lock Brakes) is watching the speed output from all 3 sensors at one time. So when on a slick surface like ice, gravel, wet pavement, etc. when you accelerate rapidly and cause the rear tires to spin the rear speed sensor jumps up in speed rapidly and the front 2 sensor could be at zero speed yet. So the CAB (Controller Anti lock Brakes) can't understand how the rear half of the truck is doing say 35 MPH and the front half is doing 0 MPH. POOF! P0500 code is thrown.
That doesn't explain the high idle though. Is that the only code that it gave you?

Quick Reply: Overhead console CCD and random high idle