24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ordering new Inj pump tomorrow..question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ordering new Inj pump tomorrow..question?

I'm pretty confident that I can install a new inj pump on my 98.5 24V using the wimpy truck manual that I have . But when it comes to initially starting the truck right after installing the pump the book says nothing !!!

Will the lift pump sufficiently prime the new inj. pump after installation.
What about all the air that will no doubt be in the injector lines? Will that matter?
I SURE dont want to FRY my new Inj pump !!!!!!!!

Is there any other helpful removal/installation tips or advice ?

Thanks in advance for any help

~Brett.................
Old 08-15-2003, 07:47 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Re:Ordering new Inj pump tomorrow..question?

I have not done it so this is just conjecture and surely somebody in the know will chime in. Have not heard of a way to actually prime the vp44 aside from letting the lift pump do its thing. I would make sure the filter canister is full of fuel before trying to start. It will make that much less air that has to be purged. I think I would start with using the schrader on the vp44 first to get the air out good up until that point and then you will surely have to crack some injector lines to get the air out from that schrader out to the injectors. I would start with the middle 2 lines then move to the front 2 and finally the last 2 if still needed. It will need to be done just as if you ran out of fuel. There may possibly be instructions in the manual for that. If no one chimes in a quick call to someone like Piers might be a good idea to save some headaches.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did a inj. pump recently on mine ( same truck )...barry g's method is what i did, it took me a good 15 minutes to get it running normally. i would advise 2 people to do this , 1 cranking and 1 cracking the inj. lines at the same time after you have done as much purging as possible before this point (fuel canister, bled valve, etc...) cummins don't like running out of fuel, i was at the point at first where i thought i installed a faulty vp-44 until i started cracking the inj. lines....oh, and some tips: make sure you have small crescent wrenches for removing the inj. lines from the vp-44, a torque wrench, and be careful and take your time w/ lining up the SUPPLIED pin in the shaft of the new pump to the gear in the front of the engine ( i used white-out and a small mirror to help see the hole in the gear and the pin coming together, another good time for 2 people, one to slowly move the engine till the gear hits TDC as one watches for it )....all just my $.02, any more questions we'll try and help....good luck
Old 08-15-2003, 08:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All sounds like sound advive Colorado guy , Thanks !
Hittin the road right now , hope she makes it one last time before the new pump.
~Brett
Old 08-15-2003, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little more info here:
http://www.nwbombers.com/cgi-bin/for...3;t=3254;st=15