24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ok i think the vp-44 died.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok i think the vp-44 died.

59,000 miles 2002 ho 6speed.

A few months ago(i dont daily drive this truck) the truck had a hiccup driving down the road, it sounded like it backfired out the exhaust and the intake at the same time.
Over the past year the truck has had vp44 issues, dead pedal at certain times, and grey smoke on startup, but it clears up IF YOU CYCLE THE KEYSWITCH.

So after about a year of turning the key to the off position for a split second, it drives normal for hours on end.

Last night coming home the truck had dead pedal, and then it acted like the throttle was stuck in the open position. If i gave it alot of throttle it stayed there in that position. Then shut it off, and then the truck loped like it had a huge cam in it.
Then it started to idle fine, gave it throttle and it would only rev up to like 1500 rpm.

So, here are the codes that have been stored in the truck.
ppcu
p0500
p1693

pecu
p1689
p1693
p0216

No joking, if i let the truck sit for a few weeks, it will start driving fine for about a month. The small pump is working fine.

Its been awhile since ive been on this forum, do you guys think its the pump for sure? It almost sounds like the electronic side of the pump is not working right, the truck does have new batteries in it.

Could it be the horsepower box flaking out?
Has rv injectors for the last 30K...

Any help? Its sitting in the driveway and were getting ready for snow.

If i do have to buy a pump for this H.O. should i just buy a stock replacement or should i get one of those hotrod pumps.
I just bought a house, so i really was not expecting to dump 2K into the truck this spring.

BW
Old 02-06-2010, 03:31 PM

I just went out and pulled the codes, those are all still there.

Starts up and runs fine.

Maybe not the vp44, grounds and a map sensor maybe?

I pulled the books out, i would have to read for days.

Where is the map sensor?

BW
Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM

With those codes, it's most certainly the VP44 going south on you. You can try removing the fueling box to see if it makes a difference, but I doubt it will. I am assuming you have good fuel pressure to the VP44?
I would suggest getting a stock pump replacement, as the hotrod pumps are not worth the extra coin IMO.
Good luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by patriot pearl blue
I just went out and pulled the codes, those are all still there.

Starts up and runs fine.

Maybe not the vp44, grounds and a map sensor maybe?

I pulled the books out, i would have to read for days.

Where is the map sensor?

BW
It sounds like it's the electronics board going south on the VP44. Probably works fine when cold, but not so much once warmed up. Common issue really.
The MAP sensor is on the drivers side of the block, relatively close to the firewall. Don't have the diagram handy for you though. Here is a link to a page with a pic:
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/c...map-sensor.htm
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM

have access to hot rod pump. p pumping a truck. dont know what he wants for it but will find out.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by mishkaya
With those codes, it's most certainly the VP44 going south on you. You can try removing the fueling box to see if it makes a difference, but I doubt it will. I am assuming you have good fuel pressure to the VP44?
I would suggest getting a stock pump replacement, as the hotrod pumps are not worth the extra coin IMO.
Good luck!
Yes i hate to think its the vp44, this truck "felt low on power a few years ago" and it has had a few small pumps installed to try and save the vp44.

I did post on a map sensor thread 3 years ago, and brought it back up recently, thats exactly what my truck is doing. So, i think i will unplug my horsepower box and let the truck sit for a week, see about saving up some money for parts.

I can do the pump swap, i just dont want to pay for it.

Thank you for your advise on the hotrod pump, i have not researched them, heard they were 100 more hp. I dont race my truck, but an extra 100 hp is always good in my book

BW
Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by bud300ft
have access to hot rod pump. p pumping a truck. dont know what he wants for it but will find out.

I thought i couldnt do a p-pump on my 24v because of the cam?

Been out of the scene for too long

BW
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Yes i hate to think its the vp44, this truck "felt low on power a few years ago" and it has had a few small pumps installed to try and save the vp44.

I did post on a map sensor thread 3 years ago, and brought it back up recently, thats exactly what my truck is doing. So, i think i will unplug my horsepower box and let the truck sit for a week, see about saving up some money for parts.

I can do the pump swap, i just dont want to pay for it.

Thank you for your advise on the hotrod pump, i have not researched them, heard they were 100 more hp. I dont race my truck, but an extra 100 hp is always good in my book

BW
I run an SO pump on my truck( saved the extra cash for other bombs), and recorded over 600 on the dyno. Enough for my needs...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:43 PM

It sounds like it's the electronics board going south on the VP44. Probably works fine when cold, but not so much once warmed up. Common issue really.
The MAP sensor is on the drivers side of the block, relatively close to the firewall. Don't have the diagram handy for you though. Here is a link to a page with a pic:
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/c...map-sensor.htm
Well, it was throwing out more fuel at idle, sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders when i first started it up in the morning when it was cold out, then after 5 minutes of warm up, i would cycle the key and start driving. About 1500 or 2000 rpm it would clear up after the key cycle and drive just fine. I did that for a year and dead pedal went away.

It had plenty of power, black smoke and breaking the 4 tires loose at 50mph on wet pavement all this time, but yes, when id drive 30 miles or more, then it seemed low on horsepower.

Thanks again, i was on mopar1973mans site today, i thought the youtube video was awesome with the 3 cyl high idle at 800° egt

BW
Old 02-06-2010, 06:46 PM

I run an SO pump on my truck( saved the extra cash for other bombs), and recorded over 600 on the dyno. Enough for my needs...
SO is stock original?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 PM

SO is stock original?
SO stands for Standard Output, versus the HO pump you currently have (High Output). The HO pump is limited to around 450HP on the top end, whereas the SO pump is limited between 650 and 700HP. SO pump comes on the auto's and most 5 speed trucks.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 AM

SO stands for Standard Output, versus the HO pump you currently have (High Output). The HO pump is limited to around 450HP on the top end, whereas the SO pump is limited between 650 and 700HP. SO pump comes on the auto's and most 5 speed trucks.
I will have to search installing the SO pump on my HO truck, i thought it would have drivability issues, i read that doing the wrong pump will cause "issues" LOL.

Thank you very much for your help, i found the map sensor in the book.

I really dont think i will modify it more, i try not to beat the truck up, i did the mods in my signature when i purchased the truck new in 2002. Stock clutch is still holding fine with the hp box and injectors.

Maybe someone can wave a magic wand over my truck and have the knombs fix it overnight.

BW
Old 02-07-2010, 11:17 AM

I will have to search installing the SO pump on my HO truck, i thought it would have drivability issues, i read that doing the wrong pump will cause "issues" LOL.

Thank you very much for your help, i found the map sensor in the book.

I really dont think i will modify it more, i try not to beat the truck up, i did the mods in my signature when i purchased the truck new in 2002. Stock clutch is still holding fine with the hp box and injectors.

Maybe someone can wave a magic wand over my truck and have the knombs fix it overnight.

BW
Plenty have done the swap. Consensus is that you can use an SO pump on an HO truck, but not the other way around. You do lose some low end with the SO pump compared to the HO pump, but you gain tremendously on the top end. If you intend to stay under 500 HP you can get away with keeping an HO pump.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM

If you do purchase a VP44, definately go to Blue Chip Diesel and get one of his. He rebuilds them 100% (new everything to include computer). Don't waste your time installing a 1K dollar pump and do it right the first time.

I just put one of his on my '99 engine and am VERY happy.

www.bluechipdiesel.com

Wayne
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM

I would get it checked and install a better than stock LIFT PUMP befor your VP44 goes south completly.

Quick Reply: Ok i think the vp-44 died.