24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ok- got fuel pump and pressure gauge, now what

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok- got fuel pump and pressure gauge, now what

installed pressure gauge and have bought holley electric pump with pressure regulator. i believe it will mount on the frame near the tank- do i splice into the delivery line? and what do i do with the old lift pump? bypass it? do i just route the lines around the old pump? and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. the truck is a '00' 2500 4x4
do i use regular fuel line to bypass old lift pump and splice into supply line from tank or what? love the truck and really hate to screw it up-
thanks bill
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 AM

anybody done a liftpump redo?.......
Old 02-20-2007, 07:49 AM

Well, I just installed my new carter pump along with the vulcan Bigline fuel kit. which replaces all the banjos and ups the fuel line ID on sunday...

I left the old lift pump on the block as i didnt really care to jam my already cut up hands down there to remove it(i will someday as it is still good). mounted my new on the frame. Yes you just splice into the feed line(small pipe cutter) and hose clamps for the in and outlet lines to the filter.

jiMMy
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

safirenfish:

what i did was mount it down on the frame right in front of the tank. cut the steel delivery line and tie it end with some rubber hose. don't use the regulator. I spliced the hot signal (wire) off of the existing pump and ran it back to the holley. keep the existing pump and they both will cylce together. mine's been working fine for about a year now. run 24psi @ idle and 17 @ wot. hopes this helps.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by kipo
safirenfish:

what i did was mount it down on the frame right in front of the tank. cut the steel delivery line and tie it end with some rubber hose. don't use the regulator. I spliced the hot signal (wire) off of the existing pump and ran it back to the holley. keep the existing pump and they both will cylce together. mine's been working fine for about a year now. run 24psi @ idle and 17 @ wot. hopes this helps.
if the stock pump finally poops out does it still allow free flow?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the stock lift pump has a bypass valve to allow fuel to be sucked by the VP44 in the case of an LP failure. I don't think the Holley has a bypass valve so of it stops, so does the flow. With a gauge though you will know.

I have relocated everything to the framerail and use 3/8in ID hose from the pump right up to the fuel filter...was easy to do and works well. Also makes changing a LP easy so you don't have to get all bashed up trying to reach it at the OE location.

I will probably run a Holley as a pusher and run it off a relay tapped from the red wire to the LP. This way the current draw is going direct to the battery instead of through the truck electronics
Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 AM

my plan that ill prolly never do is going to be to take the stock lift pump from its OEM location mount it near the one i put on the frame rail. run check valves (T's) in the rubber spliced line to it. So if the current ones fails for whatever reason i can just get out and unplug the harness from the current one and into the secondary LP and turn the 2 valves to reroute the fuel....
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM

thanks for the feedback, i am very thankful. is there any reason to leave the original lift pump in place and use? currently i have put a 30 psi gauge in and have been watching it, i get 12 psi when i cycle the key, 9 psi at idle, 5-6 psi running down the road at around 60 and if i step on pedal hard- it will suck down to 1 psi or zero......kinda worried about that part. i will say it has me out of the throttle though. i don't let it get below 5 psi on the pedal. thanks again for all the advice , i really appreciate it.
bill
Old 02-21-2007, 08:13 AM

You probably don't ever want it to go to 0 on the gauge...You'd be better off with 12 at idle, 9 running and 6 or so at WOT. With the pump on the frame that's what I get...I use a Carter HP4601 pump. I noticed better pressure when I moved the pump. I think people have found that removing the banjo fittings at the Filter, and IP helps alot. I have yet to do that but will in the future.
-Geoff
Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM

what do you plan on doing in place of the banjo's.......austin? dang dude, your right around the corner.......i go to austin maybe once a month to see my bro-in-law. he lives off spicewood springs i think....
Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM

You can get a kit which has hose connections instead of banjo fittings which match the threads on both the IP and Fuel filter...then you can connect the two with hose. I think the fittings are hard to find commercially because they are a wierd metric size. I think some of the performance places advertising here have a kit to do this too...

Austin is a fun place...I like living here.

Take it easy.
-Geoff