24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oilpan removal help . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oilpan removal help . . .

hey,

so my oilpan is starting to leak pretty bad . . .

what is the best way to remove and replace the oilpan gasket?

the truck is going in to have the tranny built so the tranny will be removed from the truck at this time. with the tranny removed, will the pan simply unbolt and then slide backwards and out? or is there anything besides the oil pickup to keep it from sliding out?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try snugging the bolts before replacing it. Many, including me, have done this and had no further leaks.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 PM

i have tried already, but will try again. good tip.

anybody know if the pan will simply slide out towards the rear once unbolted and if the tranny is not in the truck?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jason...Try the trick that I got from a member here....Clean around the leak with lacquar thinner..Then spray the area with gasket spray...I know its a shortcut..which I rarely do...but my pan has not leaked for 3 years..
Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
i have tried already, but will try again. good tip.

anybody know if the pan will simply slide out towards the rear once unbolted and if the tranny is not in the truck?
I've taken the pan off my 2000 on two separate occasions now. First time I did it with the trans and everything attached, I removed the fan and fan shroud, unhooked the intake tubes, loosened the engine mounts and picked the engine up till it hit the cab. At this point take all the oil pan bolts out, then drop the pan slightly and take the pickup tube bolts and drop the pickup tube into the pan, the pan should drop right out.

The 2nd time I did it I had the trans and adapter out and I didn't lift the engine. Its alittle tighter this way, but it will come out. I had to put a jack in the front of the engine to lift the front up slightly because the way the engine mounts want to rotate the engine.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 AM

JD730 -
how long did each method take you?
first method seems like something i could do no problem, just wondering how long . . .

if it is still kinda tricky with the tranny removed, do you think i would be better off paying the tranny shop to do it while the tranny is out? or just try the above mentioned methods (of tightening an cleaning) and if these do't work then hoist it up and replace it . . .