24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil pressure sensor part # (yes I have searched, a lot)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure sensor part # (yes I have searched, a lot)

I think I have read almost every related oil pressure sensor thread and have come up with several part numbers. My question is which is the correct part # for a 99 2wd 124k:

3408428 - My understanding is that this is the orginal part number.

4088390 - I think this is the part number that replaced the one above.

4921511 - I've heard 2 stories on this #, some are saying it is a direct replacement and others say this is a pressure switch instead of a sensor and needs a new harness and ECU calibration to deal with it (single connector vs 3). I have found this part and the site claims that you need to have the 3 prong connector for it to work, not the single prong that others have talked about (http://hoeslidiesel.com/store/page5.html).

I would prefer to have a direct replacement part if at all possible. I know I can get 4921511 for about $90. I haven't looked for the other part #'s as I just discovered them (if they are even still available).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad
Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Don't really matter. The value seen on gauge is a computed value. The ECM verifies pressure eventually after start up. It is busy figuring timing and fuel delivery. It sends a happy signal to PCM. PCM eventually busses a message to instrument panel and the needle moves to a happy position.
Def of happy position. The needle displays a value that customer accepts as a valid pressure. It is based on engine temp, RPM, ambient temp, ect. But not the actual oil pressure. Put a gauge to engine if unbeliever.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 AM

Brad,

I went through this several years back. I am not very good at posting a link, but one of my posts goes into a lot of detail when I changed mine. I got the wrong sender and never used it. I do not know what the new number is but the correct replacement just screws in and plugs into the harness. I had the problem with the one prong and 3 prong connector.

The correct sender will be cheeper at Cummins than Dodge and your price of 90 sounds about right. Do a search for my posts and you will find it, I do not have many of them. I also went through what tools I needed.

Randy
Old 09-26-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope this works!

here is the part numbers.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&postcount=14
Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 AM

I found all of those part #'s, they are listed above. acrcc's post does not talk about part 4921511 as a valid replacement. His post is 6 years old, and companies tend to change part numbers frequently. So my question remains, is 4921511 the new 4088390?

Thanks for all the feedback!

Brad
Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM

I have finally made some progress on this. The Cummins dealer I am buying the oil pressure sensor through has said that part # 4088390 is an old # and is no longer available. It has been replaced by # 4921511. I haven't gotten the part yet but I will follow up if there are any issues with the replacement part.

Brad
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM

I spoke to soon on this issue. Part # 4921511 was not the right part for my truck. The sensor is a 3 prong sensor, but the prongs and the connector are larger than the factory wiring harness. I talked to the Cummins dealer again and the rep said the only solution direct from Cummins is the one wire pressure switch which requires you to re-program the ECU. I'm still trying to figure out how anyone has gotten this part to work....
Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
You need to the build # off of your engine. It will be the "CPL" # on the id plate. For example mine is CPL 2906. This is the control parts list for your engine archived by Cummins. Any Cummins parts dealer should have access to it.

My sender looked different than the original but is the correct replacement and a little more sensitive to fluctuations in pressure than the old one. I paid around $115.00 for it at the local Kenworth Shop.

Kurt
Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
You need to the build # off of your engine. It will be the "CPL" # on the id plate. For example mine is CPL 2906. This is the control parts list for your engine archived by Cummins. Any Cummins parts dealer should have access to it.

Kurt
Here's a picture to help find the CPL #. Driver's side of engine, towards the top front of the timing case.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks Guys! I am headed to the Cummins store this afternoon in hopes they can find the right part for me, this should def help out!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Cummins store is telling me they don't have a part that will work and that I have to go to the Dodge dealer to get the right part... I'm trying to follow through on an ebay lead for a re-manufactured part.
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Funny, 4921511 fit right into my 01 like it was built to be there.

Something odd is going on here.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Yeah, it's called chrysler sucks...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
No, that isn't necessarily it.

Bet you didn't want to hear that huh?

For a time, back in the dusty pages of my mind, there was an update for the oil pressure sensor on the ISB engine. It consisted of making a change to the pigtail as well. I don't recall it being plug and play initially either, it involved soldering a new pigtail onto the existing harness.

We went through this in kenworth and other medium duty trucks.

It is possible that yours has been changed, perhaps by a previous owner, or under warranty, or... the list goes on.

the 40883990 superceded to the 4921511 last time I looked it up.

You might want to dig a little farther.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM

I have been digging extensively on this, and this is how I understand it: Chryler installs the ECU/PCU or whatever you want to call it. The oil pressure sensor design is dependent upon the wiring harness which is dependent on the ECU/PCU. Chrysler did not use the same wiring harness or ECU/PCU for the entire run of this truck (98.5-02). My understanding is that the later model years are compatible with 4921511, and that with the 98, 99 and 2000 models its a crap shoot. The cummins computer system directs you to an even older number than 40883990, it directs you to 3408428 for my truck's CPL, and this part has also been discontinued. The two solutions I have been presented with are: Go to dodge and buy the sensor, or convert to a single wire system and have the computer reprogrammed by the dealer. Alternate solutions that don't involve the dealer are: ignore the constant dinging, and install my own gauge, or try the ebay part that is remanufactured (which is also a crap shoot).

I seriously doubt that my truck has had this part replaced previously, but I will inspect the harness closer next time I'm working on it to see if it has been modified.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sensor part # (yes I have searched, a lot)