24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Pressure/Guage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure/Guage Issue

I've had my truck for about 4 years and always thought I had good oil pressure because it always read 70-80 PSI. When I installed the Juice w/Attitude 1 1/2 years ago it said that I had zero oil pressure and I thought I just had a wire crossed or something.

The other day I noticed for the first time that the oil pressure guage on the dash went to 70-80 PSI as soon as I turned the key without the engine running.

Now I am a little scared because I don't know if I have any oil pressure at all. Could this be caused by the oil pressure sending unit? A wire short? I am not sure where to start troubleshooting this problem.

Any ideas appreciated.

Gizmo Joe
Old 05-08-2008, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The very 1st thing you should do is pull the oil pressure sender out and check the pressure with a real gage. You don't need to get a mechanical type dash gage, just go pick up a shop tool type gage at an auto parts store or maybe Crasftsman from Sears or something. It just screws into where the sender goes.

If the pressure is good then try a new sender.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM

I agree...

Hook a mechanical gauge up and actually check the oil pressure with a known good gauge!

Then replace the stock sender and reset any code that might be tripped...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM

When my truck had about 70k on it the o/p sender went out. When I picked up one at the agency, the parts guy confided that it was one of their biggest replacement items, and that they usually failed between 60-90k.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Wow, I have the same problem!

I also have the edge unit also.

I have a mechanic friend of mine lining up the oil pressure sending unit. We shall see?

Joe
Old 05-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Maybe this is the same problem?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p/t-35111.html

"" Started to work this morning and the truck dings at me, tells me to check gauges. I scan the gauges and , no oil pressure!! But wait, the engine sounds fine, no knocking or thumping to be heard. Hmmmm. Shut down and start back up and still no pressure on gauge. Got to work, (only about 1 mile) shut the truck down, turn the key to run position and I have about 80 lbs oil pressure! Good pressure seeing as the truck is not even running! Start the truck back up and the gauge falls back to 0. I am leaning toward the oil pressure sending unit. Anyone out there have any thing like this happen to them? Do you think it is the sending unit?

Jim ""

Some good info follows, including a Cummins part # for a new sender, as well as a Dodge TSB.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
oil pressure

Check out this tsb may apply
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 PM

Like I said in the previous post, I went to the agency and bought a new sender - and installed it myself. I did not mention that since there were no other symptoms indicating that I had no oil pressure, I drove the truck for 3 days before I was able to pick up the sender. My situation was similar to other posts in this thread - Driving along one night in the sticks when the ding-ding goes off "Check Gauges" light comes on - no oil pressure. Pull over immediately and shut down. Grab the flashlight and investigate above and below - nothing. Dipstick - normal. Start engine - nothing abnormal sounding – knocking/ticking, etc. – so away I went. According to the parts mgr at the agency, failure of this part was not uncommon, and was easy money for Chrysler (it wasn’t that cheap).