24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Pressure Gauge stuck at 60PSI

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Pressure Gauge stuck at 60PSI

I just noticed my oil pressure gauge is stuck at 60 PSi.
I bought the truck used receintly and I just thought I had good pressure until I changed the oil and when I started the engine I noticed I instantly had 60 PSI.

Defective oil pressure sender? , if I unplug it shouldn't the gauge go to -0- even when the engine is not running?

Where is the pressure sender?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 AM

If it's an aftermarket electric gauge it could have a bad sender or it could be wired wrong.

Some gauges need the power to be turned off completely to reset. Also, some will not reset to zero unless power is applied. So, if the sender was bad, it would instantly peg the gauge.

Dave
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 AM

It's the factory gauge, the one in the dash
Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Crall
It's the factory gauge, the one in the dash
Mine does the same thing, I think it's a common issue. The sender is under the stock FF housing. I remember it being over $100, so I put it on the backburner for now. As soon as I turn my key on but not start the oil pressure gauge slowly climes to 30-40 pounds and stays there.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Mine jumprs righ up witht he ignition key, and drops as soon as you turn it off.

Whats a stock FF housing? ?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Mine jumprs righ up witht he ignition key, and drops as soon as you turn it off.

Whats a stock FF housing? ?
Stock Fuel Filter housing.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by wjbell
Mine does the same thing, I think it's a common issue. The sender is under the stock FF housing. I remember it being over $100, so I put it on the backburner for now. As soon as I turn my key on but not start the oil pressure gauge slowly climes to 30-40 pounds and stays there.
I just checked with the dealer, the oil pressure sender list for over $220, if you can find a way to get wholesale pricing from your dealership it is $172, mine said he could do it for $160...still expensive
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM

I just checked with the dealer, the oil pressure sender list for over $220, if you can find a way to get wholesale pricing from your dealership it is $172, mine said he could do it for $160...still expensive
Yeah, I knew it was some outrageous price for a sender. Too bad there wasn't a source for it online. When I had my BMW the dealer wanted somewhere around $200 for the o2 sensor. I found a parts place somewhere down south that had it for under $100 shipped. Same Bosch part number.

Anyone know any online sources to get our parts?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by wjbell
Yeah, I knew it was some outrageous price for a sender. Too bad there wasn't a source for it online. When I had my BMW the dealer wanted somewhere around $200 for the o2 sensor. I found a parts place somewhere down south that had it for under $100 shipped. Same Bosch part number.

Anyone know any online sources to get our parts?
I would guees it would be difficult to find in a Junk Yard, and then there is the chance it would be either bad or about to be.

The dealer said it was available through Cummins, but was more expensive, and I probably wouldn't get my discount either
Old 04-22-2008, 02:55 PM

The dealer said it was available through Cummins, but was more expensive, and I probably wouldn't get my discount either
Around here a lot of guys buy parts from Cummins because they are a lot cheaper than the Dodge dealer. Might be worth checking.

Chass
ct
Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chass
Around here a lot of guys buy parts from Cummins because they are a lot cheaper than the Dodge dealer. Might be worth checking.

Chass
ct
Wow. Just called Cummins West (we have one here in Sacramento) and for my 2001 the guy looked it up and told me $73.56. He looked it up by my engine serial number so it must be right.

As I understand it there is two versions; one that has two wires that just sends a signal when the pressure just gets too low. Basically and idiot light but displayed as a gauge. The other has three wires and actually has varibale pressure readings that get sent to the computer then the gauge that actually has some sort of realistic pressure reading. Is this right?

Anyway, you can probably order direct from Cummins, or if anybody wants, I can get the part and ship it off to you. Just cover the part and shipping...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chass

Chass
ct
+1 Cummins sells the parts to Dodge, Dodge marks them up (a lot) and sells them to you.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks, good to know I was about to get taken, and he is such a nice dealer too.....yea right!

I have the 3 wire sender, I need to call over to my local Cummins dealer and get a price

Again thanks.

How about the lift pump? got a cheap source?