24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil out of blow by tube

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil out of blow by tube

he guys,
A friend of mine brought his truck (01 195 thou) by the shop today. He has ALOT of oil coming out his blow by tube. I don't have time right now to pull his head off but to me it looks like he has a problem with rings - piston or valves. The thing is the truck starts great and when he shuts it down it stops very quick and the surp. belt even squeaks a little so it appears that he has good compression. It does smoke a little at start up in the morning.(blue-ish not white) He just came back from a 700 mile run he was towing a trailer with a car on it maybe 5000 lbs and he used/ lost about 1 gallon. Is there anything else to look at before I yank the head of the ol girl??
Thanks,
Topper
Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the blow by breather on these years is it common for trucks to loose some oil. when towing going down long decends. I dont know about 1 gallon that seems like alot. did he check his oil level. or does he often check it. is his coolant have oil in it. the churp on shut down is common as well. if he lives in a colder area alittle color like this on start up is normal. most people on the breather tube/bottle will ditch this and get a extension piece either run it down farther or along the frame rail and let it dump. if this is done have it run with the most downward path as possible. if he could I would change the oil, run it either clean out the breather bottle or ditch it. see what happens. if he doesnt have anymore signs. or cross contamination of oil in the water. mine drips from time to time out of my extension piece and every once and awhile it will puke alittle more I think this is due to my length of extension I put on and collecting up and finally blowing out. I would hate for the work of taking a head off due to the oil level being alittle low in the begining and from the tow trip if doing alot of hills losing oil. there is a cummins TSB out on the breather losing oil. also if he did loose alot of oil out of the front breather bottle just recent there should be evidence all over the bottom of his case cover back of radiator etc. etc. this is why alot of people move the hose down farther. hope this helps oh does he have gauges and did he notice his temp go up at all. good luck