24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Film in turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Film in turbo

What could be the causes of the oil film in my turbo. I thought before I put on the BHAF that it might have been from the Catch bottle for the blow by, but after the change, and I looked it is even worse.

When you check for play iun the turbo, what kind of effort should you use to move the turbine? should it move with little ease or should you be able to put some force on it and move it over?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only cause i've heard about regarding oil in the intake tube, turbo compressor opening and on the blades was from oiled air filters (in my experience, ALMOST everyone over-oils the filters when they clean them, or they aren't COMPLETELY dry before oiling)
Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I took off my oiled air filter and replaced it with a bhaf, my turbo inlet oil film disappeared.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:55 PM

I my experience those blow-by oil catch bottles are a joke. I never found much oil in mine although never emptied, because when you run the tuck hard the blow-by gas blows most oil that acumulated in the bottle out! I don't think it matters much whether you empty the darn bottle or not, it still blows oil all over the place and could still get sucked up by the intake. Is there any oil on the intake side of the filter or filter housing? If there is, there is not much doubt where it came from.

The turbo should be pretty easy to spin by lightly touching the blades. There should be no noticable radial play in the turbine wheel or baldes touching the housing, slight axial play is normal.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 AM

I just do not want the turbo to on me, and take out my intercooler. What I mean is that the blade spins fine, but if you reach in and grab the nut and put a lil force on it up or down, or side to side, you can move it. but it is not a lose move, more like you have to force it to. Sound Normal?

I really do not know where the oil could be coming from. I use a dry paper element with the outerwears pre-filter. Come to think of it, the outerwears did have an oil film. Maybe I should relocate my bottle to the outside of the frame rail like another member did.