24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Accumulators

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Accumulators

I have a 3500 with the Cummins 600 and am looking at plumbing an accumulator into the oil system. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with these products. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:27 PM

Why?

Randy
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 PM

Standard stuff -- prevent oil starvation if the pump fails, pre-oil the engine on startup, keep oil through the turbo during shutdown. I'm a fairly new diesel guy, so if that sort of ability is already built into this engine, then it's unnecessary. I know on most, if not all, factory gas engines it isn't.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 PM

I think the only thing you accomplish is oiling the turbo during S/D. If the pump fails you not going to supply oil for any usable amount of time. Besides you'll still won't know until you loose pressure and unless you have an SOV the accum. will be empty. Same issue with pre-oil. I can't say it is a bad idea, but turbo life has not been an issue. At least not from loss of oil flow on S/D.

Randy
Old 08-31-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A diesel mechanic friend bought an accumulator type preluber off the internet for about $175.
I found it overpriced personally but he raves about it, I trust him when he says it works.
Here it is http://www.autoenginelube.com/pages/903473/index.htm

All it is is a two quart tank mounted with the inlet at the bottom so that air is trapped in the high part of the tank. There is an electric valve mounted to the inlet, open when key is on. A hose runs from the valve to the 1/8 port on top of his oil filter housing.

How it works is when the engine is running the tank fills most of the way with oil pressurized by the engine, the air in the top of the tank compresses. When you shut down the valve closes trapping the pressurized oil. On the next startup when you turn the key on without starting the oil feeds into the engine. This also adds a couple quarts to your oil capacity.

It would be simple to build one yourself for cheap, valve and plumbing should be less than $20.
Tank is up to you. Summit Racing sells accumulator tanks for a decent price or you could come up with a tank that would hold pressure on your own. My thought was using an empty fire extinguisher.

I like the idea of this preluber much better than the type with pumps. Everyone I know who has used a pump type has had pump problems and leaks. Below zero oil can be hard on a pump...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:53 PM

Hmmm.. I had one that worked on shutdown. It was totally passive. Starting the engine would fill the accumulator with oil and pressurize the trapped air above the oil At shutdown, the pressurized oil would drain from the tank and pour across the turbo bearing to prevent coking. Never had a day's trouble with the turbo, but cooldown before shutdown is still the best medicine I think.