24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Nv5600????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Location: Pueblo West, CO (I hate it here but my job is keeping me here for the time being)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nv5600????

I have an '01 with the NV5600 6 spd. standard. I started having a problem with it grinding pretty bad in 3rd gear about 2 months ago, so I took it to a local transmission shop and had them put a shift rebuild kit in. I know the kit had syncros, blocking rings, bearings and some other parts in it. I also had them install a new Luk clutch. I got the truck back and it grinded going into 3rd and now 4th as well when it is cold. I took it back to them for some warrenty work and they replaced a couple of the blocking rings again and all the trans hydraulics including the clutch slave cyl. Got it back again Monday night and by Tuesday it was doing the exact same thing it was doing when I took it back for the warrenty work. I also noticed that it doesn't shift down very well. I don't know if I would say you have to force it into gear, but you definatly have to put some pressure to it to get it to go into gear when shifting down. It also can be pretty hard to get into 1st gear sometimes when stopped. Now obviously the shop that did the work is having a fairly hard time figuring out what is causing this because its not getting fixed. Basiclly what I'm asking is if anyone has any ideas that I can ask the shop to check when I take it back for the 3rd time, I would really appreciate you letting me know. The less time the truck is in the shop out of commission the less detrimental is is to my wallet. Thanks a lot for any help!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you trust the shop you took it to? It seems like the 1st kit should have fixed it if they installed the rings, bearings, and syncros.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Location: Pueblo West, CO (I hate it here but my job is keeping me here for the time being)
Well I don't know. I had a work truck that was a '97 F-350 ZF-5spd. a while back which was also grinding in the higher gears. I took it to them to have them rebuild it, got it back and never have another problem with it. So yea I don't know if they just suck at the Dodge 6spd or what.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by polaris_freedom
I have an '01 with the NV5600 6 spd. standard. I started having a problem with it grinding pretty bad in 3rd gear about 2 months ago, so I took it to a local transmission shop and had them put a shift rebuild kit in. I know the kit had syncros, blocking rings, bearings and some other parts in it. I also had them install a new Luk clutch. I got the truck back and it grinded going into 3rd and now 4th as well when it is cold. I took it back to them for some warrenty work and they replaced a couple of the blocking rings again and all the trans hydraulics including the clutch slave cyl. Got it back again Monday night and by Tuesday it was doing the exact same thing it was doing when I took it back for the warrenty work. I also noticed that it doesn't shift down very well. I don't know if I would say you have to force it into gear, but you definatly have to put some pressure to it to get it to go into gear when shifting down. It also can be pretty hard to get into 1st gear sometimes when stopped. Now obviously the shop that did the work is having a fairly hard time figuring out what is causing this because its not getting fixed. Basiclly what I'm asking is if anyone has any ideas that I can ask the shop to check when I take it back for the 3rd time, I would really appreciate you letting me know. The less time the truck is in the shop out of commission the less detrimental is is to my wallet. Thanks a lot for any help!!!!
you had better make sure you have the right lube in it,like
pennzoil ..................
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/transmissi...smission-fluid
this is what i use
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
you had better make sure you have the right lube in it,like
pennzoil ..................
http://www.pennzoil.com/#/transmissi...smission-fluid
this is what i use
Exactly.

I have had no trouble since switching to Amsoil...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
they also need to look close at the gears the syncros could of worn the gears down on the sides causing them to go to deep in and bottoming out and like what was said use the right oil!
I just had mine rebuilt and they had to put in a new 3rd gear and a reverse gear with DODGE trans oil
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM

In my 5600 I've tried a couple different fluids including the Penzoil factory fluid and I find mine works best on Redline MTL. Not trying to start a fluid war but mine is hard to shift into 1st, reverse, will grind in 3rd and forget downshifting if I use anything but MTL.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:13 PM

I run royal purple, and have heard Red Line is the best for the 5600. But fwiw the purple made mine shift a lot smoother. I thought I'd barely tell, but it was very clearly smoother. Chrysler couldn't figure it out and replaced 5600's due to using inferior oil, and the current stuff I think is a partial synthetic. Not as good, and you can actually feel the difference.

Having said that, I would suspect the shop didn't replace the blocking rings or got a bearing backlash shimmed too tight or something. If it was lAAMeCO I'd guess you are getting screwed.

Oh and run an extra quart (through the top pto or shift tower) to keep the mainshaft bearings cool.

PS a wrinkled clutch disc can cause this. If you have it out again, I'd put a new disc in from www.valair.com not the "stock" one since the weak link is the hub. The OE 13" PP will hold 400hp, but the friction assly that is riveted to the stock hub is the weak link. This is where my LUK failed. Rough installation can damage the disc hub and potentially cause the clutch to drag causing similar symptoms.