24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV4500 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV4500 Questions

Just got a new 2001 and did the mods over last weekend that you see in my sig. The last owner said he put in a performance clutch however I didn't believe him, he didn't know what company though. After all the add ons I put on, I cannot make this clutch slip, at all. Even on Edge level 5 with the water/methanol on, it holds every bit of power. I am very happy about this, but I think there still might be a clutch problem. It shifts through the gears just fine however when trying to ease the clutch in to drive in 1st or 2nd gear it makes the truck buck pretty bad. It feels like the clutch isn't seating properly. 2nd gear is a lot worse then 1st gear. If I am rolling I can ease into 2nd gear with only slight bucking, all the other gears are fine. Can this be fluid related or am I looking at pulling this transmission? I planned on pulling it to install a performance clutch until I found the one I had held the power just fine. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 PM

FWIW, when I got rid of my HRVP, that problem went away. It used to be pretty fierce, especially trying to slowly back up an incline. I too thought it was a clutch issue, but when I did the conversion, that went away. Quite possibly not your issue, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:54 AM

It is possible the former owner could have had a button disc clutch put in. These are heavy duty clutches and do not like to slip at all, even when trying to ease out clutch to start moving. These will cause the truck to shutter and jump when taking off. They hold well and last a long time, but will eat a flywheel up.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 AM

thanks for the responses guys. That does make sense about the high performance clutch not wanting to slip. This would make sense if I didn't plan on towing at all, however I do every once in a while, so I need some slippage. I plan on going into the 500hp club soon with a turbo upgrade,quadzilla adrenaline, and HUGE sticks, do I need a Southbend Dual Disk, or will a single hold the power.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM

Single like the FE will hold the power, but they don't tolerate slippage as much as a dual disc will. So a DD would be a good clutch if you plan to tow.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by marine4life
Just got a new 2001 and did the mods over last weekend that you see in my sig. The last owner said he put in a performance clutch however I didn't believe him, he didn't know what company though. After all the add ons I put on, I cannot make this clutch slip, at all. Even on Edge level 5 with the water/methanol on, it holds every bit of power. I am very happy about this, but I think there still might be a clutch problem. It shifts through the gears just fine however when trying to ease the clutch in to drive in 1st or 2nd gear it makes the truck buck pretty bad. It feels like the clutch isn't seating properly. 2nd gear is a lot worse then 1st gear. If I am rolling I can ease into 2nd gear with only slight bucking, all the other gears are fine. Can this be fluid related or am I looking at pulling this transmission? I planned on pulling it to install a performance clutch until I found the one I had held the power just fine. Thanks in advance guys.

My southbend clutch did that too...held the power great,but the center can't really hold up to that if you have a load on.

My OPINION,SB clutches are good for hot-rodders and sled pullers.
If you are actually get your torque to the ground,and it's sticking...you'll break it.
I managed to do that with a 400hp engine,the stock one I put in with SB's pressure plate is perfect.
(just the center broke on the SB,they're pressure plate is great,as is they're hydralic kit)
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM

I'll probably upgrade the turbo and sticks first, if the clutch holds up, I probably won't upgrade for a while. If not, I will go with a Dual Disk. You guys weren't kidding about the addiction to bombing, I can't stop, I think I have a problem,lol.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:57 AM
I watch wind blow...

Originally Posted by marine4life
You guys weren't kidding about the addiction to bombing, I can't stop, I think I have a problem,lol.

BAHAHAHA, you right, the more i read the thinner my wallet becomes... its worth it though. i am in the clutch market aswell. i think i will research this one alot before just buying one.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 AM

southbend dd all the way. I can pull the horse trailer and drag the sled.