24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV4500 to NV5600 or G56 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV4500 to NV5600 or G56 Swap

Howdy again.

I have an 02 Dodge Long bed and I think I want to put an NV5600 or G56 (6 speed) in my truck in place of the NV4500 (5 speed).

Can someone tell me is it worth it?

I would like to put some mods on the truck to make it better on fuel mileage when towing and also get a little more HP/Torque.

looking at putting a Banks kit on the truck.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if you tow real heavy 6 speed is great if you do a lot of in town 5 speed shifts better .I only tow so i love my nv5600 and Im always above 26,000
as far as banks gos you can make more power cheeper with other products
I love the smarty for towing
welcome to DTR DR EVIL#2
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Talking Hmm. towing

I have towed upwards of 20K. I plan to do this alot more in the future.

I read something about the 6 speed being hard to shift than the 5 speed.

I also read the tranny fluid is as special as the NV4500. (Amsoil or dealer fluid)

What do you know about this??

Also, it the swap easy or hard.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Talking Upgrades

Hi. Banks quotes about 300/649lb to the rear wheels.

Cost is about 3200.

If there is a better way to get the same performance without blowing my truck

up to hell, please fill me in. (especially if it is going to be reliable and cheaper)

Why not??

Will I be able to pull the space shuttle in the low 13s???

Thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM

A used Edge Comp box for a couple hundred (or quite a bit less) will do that and more.

The G56 I drove shifted nice and smooth. I just found it had a hard detent to get into reverse, but that is obviously there for a reason. Never had the pleasure to drive a NV5600, but I hear its not nearly as smooth as the NV4500 and G56.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Evil
Hi. Banks quotes about 300/649lb to the rear wheels.

Cost is about 3200.

If there is a better way to get the same performance without blowing my truck

up to hell, please fill me in. (especially if it is going to be reliable and cheaper)

Why not??

Will I be able to pull the space shuttle in the low 13s???

Thanks
Mach 1.6 injectors and a smarty about $1600 + 350 for gauges if you dont have any.will net 335/800 thats what mine is (you might need a new clutch)
NV5600 uses synchromesh , dealer oil amsoil,red line I use redline MTL with no issues . I can pull a 17000 lbs ( trailer only) + whats in the truck over the grape vine 6-7% very long grade and not turn off the cruise control 60mph
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM

Talking Transmission

My NV4500 was rebuilt and it shifts are o.k. Reverse sucks. It takes a few tries to go in. Not always, but, of course when you want it to go in immediately, it wont.

The Banks kit changes the turbo housing for quicker spool up. I want to change injectors, upgrade the injector pump, and add a FASS Lift pump to boot. (better air intake if possible) My truck is loud and I would like it to be a little quieter which is why I thought the banks package would be best. (Included muffler)

I figure, with these upgrade, the truck should bet about 15% better fuel efficiency. This should put me in the 22-24 mpg range. HP and torque I think will be about 350 to 400 hp and 650 to 800lb ft torque.

I want the NV5600 or G56 because I hear they are better if you add more hp and torque. The G56 is current and I think is the strongest if the dodge diesels.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM

My previous truck with the nv4500 shifted about ten times better than my current truck with the nv6500.....
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM

My NV4500 was rebuilt and it shifts are o.k. Reverse sucks. It takes a few tries to go in. Not always, but, of course when you want it to go in immediately, it wont.

The Banks kit changes the turbo housing for quicker spool up. I want to change injectors, upgrade the injector pump, and add a FASS Lift pump to boot. (better air intake if possible) My truck is loud and I would like it to be a little quieter which is why I thought the banks package would be best. (Included muffler)

I figure, with these upgrade, the truck should bet about 15% better fuel efficiency. This should put me in the 22-24 mpg range. HP and torque I think will be about 350 to 400 hp and 650 to 800lb ft torque.

I want the NV5600 or G56 because I hear they are better if you add more hp and torque. The G56 is current and I think is the strongest if the dodge diesels.
The NV's will both handle copious amounts of hp and torque. The G56 has a problem with splitting cases in high hp applications when abused (racing/sledpulling).
Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 PM

I had and still have (in my garage) banks parts that were on my 01. was not happy with how it performed at all, the only thing I left on was the exhaust brake and the 4" turbo back exhaust truck is now louder then stock also the last trip my wife and i took we got ..hand calced 24.4 mpg mach injectors cant be beat .my.02
Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 AM

Talking Towing

Hi. So.. 24mpg. Can you tell me what was done?? Also, was this an 01 or 02 model. My truck is plenty loud. It was like this when I got it. No sneaking out from my neighborhood.

Also, when did you get the banks kit. Was it when it came out or more recently. Did you have the full blown kit or was it something in the middle.

From my discussions with them, there are several tuners and 1 should not be used with the other systems. Each level has a different tuner ever though they look alike. If you parted the kit together, then results may vary.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 AM

Talking Upgrades

BTW.

I don't want black smoke.

I think this is from putting too much fuel in and getting an inefficient burn of the fuel.

I hear smog checks are coming soon.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM

I bought the banks big hoss bundle, it had a tuner intake/full exhaust with engine brake and was to have given me 75 hp /180 tq after the install I saw no effect even my boost pressure stayed at 19 psi this kit is 4 years old and was on the 01 .As far as whats done to the truck you can see it listed in my sig this truck has always gotten good mpg and after the mods I would say it gets 1-2 mpg better if I drive wisely . Banks make good stuff and its safe but was not how I needed my truck to perform
for what its doing. also the computer for the engine brake went bad 1 year after install the other thing I didnt like was it would shut off at 15mph and would not come back on until 30 and in the hills around hear 30 is way to fast to not have the brake come on. I was able to by pass the computer and have a switch on the stick so its on when i want it on not when some one thinks it should be.+ you will not get any smoke from Banks not that i want smoke...as for smog==
all tuners will be looked for any ways . with the smarty it leaves no foot print
in the ECM, has 9 levels from mild to wild and in 1 min. its back on.the Banks muffler is louder then your stock one is , don't let any one tell you different

Good luck with your chose Bank is quality stuff hope you get the performance your looking for
Old 02-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by samboats
My previous truck with the nv4500 shifted about ten times better than my current truck with the nv6500.....
yup the NV5600 shifts like a dump truck
Old 02-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Talking Re: Banks

I have been looking for some time.

I didn't see a Big Haus kit from them.

There has been a power pack system. 3,200. No exhaust brake.

Exhaust
turbo housing
tuner
intake
gauge pod
filter

An additional 145 hp and 288lb ft torque is the gain.

That is what is currently listed.

The upgrades I want are as follows

a larger turbo.
75 to 100 hp injectors
FASS Lift pump
Better Air intake
Possibly a better intercooler

After adding these items, I figure I could put a banks power kit on top
of this.

I think the power gains should be about 200hp and 325lb ft torque.

My Net should be somewhere around 400hp with 700lb feet of torque.

Of course, I would love to have the numbers of 600hp and 1200lb ft of torque
but, I don't think the motor will stay together, so, there goes the daily driver and I surely don't think the transmission can handle it.

I also don't want this to be a constant rebuild project.

This is why I want to change transmissions. I feel additional HP will cause
a catastrophic failure and I don't want that to happen.

Not to mention, I don't want go give myself a reason to wake up my excessively lead filled right foot. I can tell you stories about that darn foot.

That's why I have slow cars now and that faster car is in the garage waiting for a total resto.

Quick Reply: NV4500 to NV5600 or G56 Swap