24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV4500 - notchy shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV4500 - notchy shifting

i put a new 13" upgrade clutch (valair) in this past weekend and i was hoping to find a bad pilot bearing as my tranny has had notchy shifting before this new clutch, but the pilot bearing was in really good shape.

i can find myself stuck in a parking spot trying to get it into reverse, or grabbing 3rd or 4th before i can slide it into 1st.

i have SBC upgraded hydraulics and i upgraded the pilot bearing to a ball bearing type, and now am wondering what else the culprit might be...after some researching i have feel these are my options:

1) new fluid (fluid that is in tranny is still honey colored)?
*did new fluid take care of it? what was it? im aware the nv4500 is picky about its fluid.

2) new input shaft bearing (seems other had problems with it, i didnt take notice when it was apart...hindsight is 20/20 )?
*anybody have to replace the input shaft bearing? how much play is allowed for the end of the input shaft?

3) read about a shim/spacer to put under the pivot ball to allow more travel in the fork?
*anybody hear/read this?

4) with 170k maybe it needs new synchro's and, well, basically, an overhaul?
*who has done an overhaul? how time intensive is it? read that it'll initially be hard to shift after the overhaul until the synchros wear in???

5) possibly the clutch but it was happening before hand as well

sorry if it got long, just wondering who else has dealt with this and what your solution was???

thank you!!
~Pat
Old 07-25-2007, 08:44 PM

I've got the same problems as you. Changing the fluid did nothing. I have a stock clutch and slave cylinder and throw out. I doubt it's any of the above because the trans is notchy going into gear with the engine off. I did notice if I blip the throttle to 1000-1200 the trans shifts smoothly. Synchros?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

My SBC dual disc did the same thing. When I talked to Peter there, he said it just needs to be broken in. I think he was right, I have around 3000-3500 miles on it and its getting smoother everyday.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by lwcmattlifter
I've got the same problems as you. Changing the fluid did nothing. I have a stock clutch and slave cylinder and throw out. I doubt it's any of the above because the trans is notchy going into gear with the engine off. I did notice if I blip the throttle to 1000-1200 the trans shifts smoothly. Synchros?
i too notice the same thing and feel its an indication it needs an overhaul and new synchros. if i shift without letting off the accelerator, it slides into gear alot easier; if i shift and lay off the accelerator, its notchy. which to me, indicates synchros.

with the engine off, it shifts good from gear to gear...well, good for a big truck tranny. if i could get it to shift like it does with the engine off, id be very happy.

i may tear it apart again this weekend to look at how the first 100 miles have gone on the new parts and insure everything is together correctly and no uneven wear. now that ive done it once, i feel i can do it alot quicker the 2nd time around.