24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not starting like it used to

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ramcummins, I feel your frustration. I have been battling with this same hard start issue for a long time. Fires right up with nose down, even just slightly, or full to nearly full of fuel. If nose down or even level, it takes several seconds to start. Mine has never thrown any codes and runs fine, otherwise. Consequently, I've had it in the shop several times. They suggested it was because I was using Fleetguard fuel filters, instead of the FASS ones, and replaced the filter. DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE. Next they hooked the fuel system up to a pressure guage, overnight, and confirmed it was losing prime. Suggested and installed more than one check valve between the FASS and the I.P. DID NOT FIX THE ISSUE. The shop, fortunately, was real good in their efforts to try to diagnose and fix this issue, but just couldn't pin it down. At this point, I have just learned to park accordingly, which luckily hasn't been a problem.

I would love to see someone solve this mystery.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you followed all of the lines back to the tank? You need to check every joint back to the tank. It may be possible for an injector to be bad but you never hear of people with injector problems. That is for other vehicles. 1st guess for downhill park to start is a fuel leak.

Does it always start even when it cranks longer? I had an intermittent no start that was the CKP. Sometimes it would be fine. Go to lunch & it wouldn't start. Walk to the parts store, hook up a scanner & it was perfect. Never threw a code. CKP went out twice & did the same thing. Last time i installed lifetime aftermarket part as Cummins part had crapped out twice.

Check your solenoid contacts if you go this route because the starter will be in your hand.