24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not starting like it used to

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would bumping your fuel pump and not starting the truck and letting it attempt to prime and push fuel. if this helps and it starts right up like said before somewhere is a return to tank air leak. I had same problem in past parking nose up over night and it wouldnt start only after 4-5 seconds. my problem was the connection hose in the back of my fuel filter housing. replaced my fuel line from fass to stock fuel filter and was good.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 PM

I have tried bumping the fuel pump (the pump runs without the engine running) with the same results. So going off this we can eliminate the fuel leak right?
I just checked the codes again and it does say
P PCU
P 0500
P1694
P ECU
P 1693
Weather they are good codes or not, I don't know, but that is what is says. Any more thoughts?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could be wrong but sounds like the early signs of of death of your VP.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM

K so I found out what the other codes were but what do they mean?
P1693: DTC detected in companion mode
P1694: fault in companion mode
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM

I can't find my list I had for them. It was a sticky on here some place but can't seem to find it either. You might call a dealer. On occassion you will find one that will tell definition.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM

K, so this has been going on since October of last year - still with no good results. I have taken it into my local shop and they replaced
1 - intake gasket
2 - banjo washers
2 - large banjo washers
1 - VP44 overflow valve
6 - fuel tube O-rings

Something I recently discovered is when I park it facing downhill, it has a hard time starting (when it does fire, it coughs and smokes kind of a gray smoke for a couple of minutes). If I park it facing uphill, it fires right up. I am talking a difference of parking it in my garage forward or backward. My garage floor only slopes about 2" from the front to the back? Me as well as my local diesel repair shop is baffled. Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dozer12216
Well, the codes are not good, especially the P1693.
Do a little research before you post incorrect information. 1693 is a companion code & can be ignored.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ramcummins
I have tried bumping the fuel pump (the pump runs without the engine running) with the same results. So going off this we can eliminate the fuel leak right?
I just checked the codes again and it does say
P PCU
P 0500
P1694
P ECU
P 1693
Weather they are good codes or not, I don't know, but that is what is says. Any more thoughts?
P0500 comes up as a speed sensor. What truck are you talking about? On my 2000, it was the rear ABS sensor in the diff. Check pdftown for your FSM, replace the sensor, clear the codes & report back.

Don't jump to expensive conclusions until you have good information.

Hard starts facing down hill indicates a fuel leak. Check fittings at VP, injectors, T fitting on return line at back of head & lines back to tank. It could also be as simple as a leak at your fuel filter O ring if you have the stock LP.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Junk Man -
It is a 2002. Thanks for the other leads, I will check them. It has been parked in the garage it's whole life with not a drop underneath it. I have a FASS pump. Again, thanks for your your help.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM

Ok so when I took it back to the shop (for the 3rd time now ) I printed this out

Originally Posted by Junk Man
Hard starts facing down hill indicates a fuel leak. Check fittings at VP, injectors, T fitting on return line at back of head & lines back to tank. It could also be as simple as a leak at your fuel filter O ring if you have the stock LP.
I laid it on the seat for them to look at. They did this as well as put a new filter on my FASS, as well as all the other things previously listed. Guess what, it still does the same thing. When I went to pick it up the mechanic said all their mechanics have scratched their heads have done all they could think of and it still doesn't start like it should.

Anyone else?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ramcummins
Ok so when I took it back to the shop (for the 3rd time now ) I printed this out
Apparently the pros are guessing. Are they also charging to swap parts?

0500 is no input from vehicle speed sensor which on a 00 is on the rear diff. I'd change that, clear codes & see what happens. Rent a scanner from the chain stores. In some places, you can borrow, scan & clear. In others, the store won't let you clear on premises - then you have to rent & return.

1693 is companion code meaning that codes are set in PCM and ECM. Let's ignore for now.

1694 is fault in companion module ie PCM not communicating with ECM (I think).

If I'm reading right, 0500 would set the engine light and set a code in both PCM & ECM. This would also set the 1693. If there is a hiccup communicating between between the ECM/PCM, you'll also get the 1694.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM

try putting a clear line between filter and pump and see if there are any bubbles in line,if so air leak.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
Apparently the pros are guessing. Are they also charging to swap parts?

0500 is no input from vehicle speed sensor which on a 00 is on the rear diff. I'd change that, clear codes & see what happens. Rent a scanner from the chain stores. In some places, you can borrow, scan & clear. In others, the store won't let you clear on premises - then you have to rent & return.

1693 is companion code meaning that codes are set in PCM and ECM. Let's ignore for now.

1694 is fault in companion module ie PCM not communicating with ECM (I think).

If I'm reading right, 0500 would set the engine light and set a code in both PCM & ECM. This would also set the 1693. If there is a hiccup communicating between between the ECM/PCM, you'll also get the 1694.
They charged me the first time, but not since.
I will have to get them cleared next time I am in town.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks
try putting a clear line between filter and pump and see if there are any bubbles in line,if so air leak.
Between the lift pump filter and lift pump, or between the main filter and injector pump?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

So...Not sure what you have done. Have you changed the speed sensor? That is where I'd start because of the 500 code and because it is cheap & easy. Clear the codes & report back if not fixed.

Next I'd put a wrench on all of the fittings of the fuel system. The stock fuel filter is held on with 2 bolts & moves easily so you can get to the T fitting on the head. Follow & snug the lines back to the tank starting at the VP.

Quick Reply: Not starting like it used to