24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not really impressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by robert78.5
Now that you mentioned it, the over boost code showed up the last time i checked. I will check the waste gate out also. When engine is not running, should the arm be in the vacum pot or out.
The rod on the actuator extends with pressure, and should be fully retracted when the engine is shut off.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have pulled my camper 8500 dry weight with everything as stock except the turbo. Found when I was running the edge comp I would have to back out of it on long hills due to the egts climbing too fast or I would just turn the comp off. With the comp off it would hold speed but not gain much.

While on flat ground I have no problem building up speed with the comp off. This is with 33" tires & 3.55 rears to boot, So somethin may be wrong. Like the others have said check the usuall suspects, I would start with the fuel filter.

On another note have towed up to 16k several times & I would have to keep the comp off EVEN on flat ground to keep the egt's under control. But I am **** about not letting it get close to 1200.

Looking forward to hooking to the camper & seeing how the adrenaline does.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
The rod on the actuator extends with pressure, and should be fully retracted when the engine is shut off.

Are you sure, I'm fairly certain it is spring loaded shut and it takes pressure Via intake to force the spring closed thus opening the wastegate, now if it was a 6.5 chev the wastegate would loose and you could open and close it by hand

I'll check mine to be sure
Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 PM
DRD

Originally Posted by Big Deezul
for towing here is what I would do
First adjust the valves
get your gauges fp/boost/egt
AFE stage 2 intake, 4 or 5 inch exhaust and an ez paired with RV 275 injectors
thats a pretty cheap set up and your truck will tow like its on roids!

I bought that entire set up as a combo package from CMP chips when I had my 24v and it was really inexpensive Less then 1k if I remember correctly for everything except the injectors and I got them off ebay pretty cheap
I agree, great towing combo.
I thought my truck was a pig when I got it also, I was disapointed in it's towing power. I like it now though, it just needed a few tweak to get there.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by nickg
Are you sure, I'm fairly certain it is spring loaded shut and it takes pressure Via intake to force the spring closed thus opening the wastegate, now if it was a 6.5 chev the wastegate would loose and you could open and close it by hand

I'll check mine to be sure
I think we're both saying the same thing. It's spring loaded shut, and opens (extends) as the boost pressure increases.

A Chev 6.5 uses vacuum to open and close the wastegate as demanded by the ECM through the wastegate solenoid. The Cummins way is far less complicated.