24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Not really impressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really impressed

I bought my truck 2001, auto ,used so I am not sure if anything was done to engine, high miler 500000 kms, runs perfect,, no smoke ,no oil usage,starts great, I hooked unto a 24x101 H&H cargo trailer to see how it would handle it. Trailer was empty but had a pretty good side wind. Level highway. I got to around 100 kph pretty easy but it just seemed to stay there at 2000 rpm no matter how hard i pressed pedal. When i released pedal a little it kicked into overdrive alright , but kicked out after about 1/2 mile. No smoke out of exhaust, just seemed to run out of steam. Held it at 100 kph no problem. Maybe i am expecting too much. I am planning a trip to Arizona 1800 miles one way this winter pulling this trailer with about 2800 lbs in it. I don't want to feel like I am over working it all the way. I have been reading about bigger injectors, 8 spray nozzles and 50 hp increase. Would this be worth doing?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It might be worth doing eventually, but if the truck is new to you, you might want to go through the basic stuff and make sure there isn't a problem first. Check lift pump pressure, throw in a new fuel filter, set the valve lash, etc. After that, a set of gauges then a chip or injectors might be a good plan.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same result when I bought mine and pulled my camper. You can add injectors or a box, either is worth it. I tried both and the stock torque converter wouldn't hold the added power.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 PM

mines got the stuff in my sig, but I did drive it for a couple of months in stock form stock , I dont remember it having power/hi-way speed issues in fact if anything it worked better once the revs were over 1800, I have a 25ft 5th Wheel (5500 empty) it would pull fine, after adding the EZ towing was like night and day.

I'd almost suspect something is wrong with the truck...but if it all checks out and you want a little more umph I'll soon have an EZ who needs a new home, as I'm waiting for a edge juice with attitude that I ordered to come in.

I've been bit by the power bug, and I started out with the bigger exhaust.....something to be said for owning an 8800# hot rod
Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 AM

As stated above, check lift pump pressure and perhaps have your VP tested. Could also try resetting your APPS to make sure that is within spec. Don't start adding fuel mods to the rig unless you have gauges and you know you are building up from a good, firm running truck.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM

I should add that i have a warning light on the fuel pump that comes on below 7 lbs, it did not come on when i was pulling.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Do all the normal maintenance checks on it and if fuel pressure is OK and you have a new fuel filter on it them go with a Quadzilla XZT+. Anything more will require transmission improvements.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 AM

imo id get a gauge and fuel system/big line kit first (walbro fass air dog) so you know you are feeding the vp enough fuel. we all know these trucks are notorious for weak pumps that feed the vp.
good luck
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM

I would check for a problem. I have a bone stock 01 6 speed, & pull a high profile 11.7K LB fifth wheel. I have no problem pulling down the highway at 70 MPH or better when I want too. That said, I do most of my towing at about 62 MPH.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Since you're running an auto, I would highly suggest a shift kit (I went with a reprogramming kit too). It won't help your current power problem, but sure makes the transmission shift nice.

Just my unsolicited advice.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On level highway I can easily hit 75 mph towing a 10k #, 30-foot travel trailer. On uphills the truck will keep pulling but EGTs begin to climb, so I back off. But I have no problem making the truck raise the RPMs above 2000 and speed any time I push gas, on level road.
Have the codes checked, could be the infamous dead pedal (although that would manifest itself also when not towing). Wind resistance would also play a role but the trailer isn't all that big, so I doubt it.
How is the truck behaving without the trailer? A 24' empty trailer is hardly a load, so I am guessing the truck needs some attention.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Yes it runs great empty, I will check valve setting and check injector breaking pressure this weekend. I hear alot about the edge and smarty and godzilla, but still not clear on what they actually do. Is it a computer that tricks the trucks computer to pour more fuel when needed? I never checked codes yet, will check this weekend also.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 PM

for towing here is what I would do
First adjust the valves
get your gauges fp/boost/egt
AFE stage 2 intake, 4 or 5 inch exhaust and an ez paired with RV 275 injectors
thats a pretty cheap set up and your truck will tow like its on roids!

I bought that entire set up as a combo package from CMP chips when I had my 24v and it was really inexpensive Less then 1k if I remember correctly for everything except the injectors and I got them off ebay pretty cheap
Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 PM

Have you checked for codes??? You may have a stuck wastegate and be over boosting and de-fueling. Get guages on it asap. Boost, fuel. pyro, tranny.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM

Now that you mentioned it, the over boost code showed up the last time i checked. I will check the waste gate out also. When engine is not running, should the arm be in the vacum pot or out.

Quick Reply: Not really impressed