24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No Tach or Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Tach or Overdrive

I've got a 98.5 24 valve that the tach quits about 10 seconds after I start it. The truck is put into limp mode I guess due to the tach not working and it wont shift into overdrive either. I checked the codes and it came up with a P0336 code(Crankshaft Position Sensor Performance) so I changed the CKP out and still no change. Anyone have any suggestions of what could be wrong?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't the 98.5 have both the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor?

I know the later 24 valves got rid of one of them, merging their functions into the remaining one.
(I always forget which one went away though)

phox
Old 01-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Didn't the 98.5 have both the Crankshaft Position Sensor and Camshaft Position Sensor?

I know the later 24 valves got rid of one of them, merging their functions into the remaining one.
(I always forget which one went away though)

phox
It does have both of them. I've changed them both out and still nothing has changed.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 PM

next step is to check the wiring. You have to get a wiring diagram and check the connections to the computer and crank sensor, also the pin's to make sure there bent to make the connection. Would this thing even run with out a crank signel? Mybe its the connection between the ECM and PCM, or bad PCM. Stupied dodge product anyways. Three computer's to make it go down the road!!!!

ECM, PMC, Modual on the injector pump, Body control Modual, AbS Modual, Airbage Modual......what to go bad next!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dansdodgediesel
next step is to check the wiring. You have to get a wiring diagram and check the connections to the computer and crank sensor, also the pin's to make sure there bent to make the connection. Would this thing even run with out a crank signel? Mybe its the connection between the ECM and PCM, or bad PCM. Stupied dodge product anyways. Three computer's to make it go down the road!!!!

ECM, PMC, Modual on the injector pump, Body control Modual, AbS Modual, Airbage Modual......what to go bad next!!!!
I traced all the wires that come off the CKP from the sensor to the ECM and all checked out fine. I even spliced a new pigtail on at the CKP cause the old one was a little loose but still didn't fix it. I hooked it up on a diagnostic machine and it shows that the crank sensor is reading but it still shows that same P0336 code. I even swapped out the ECM and PCM and that didn't change anything either. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
u have to make sure u didn't over/under torque the ckp sensor nut too far or too close for the mag pickup to function correctly the oring is also acting as a spacer so make sure it isnt crushed
Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mini14
u have to make sure u didn't over/under torque the ckp sensor nut too far or too close for the mag pickup to function correctly the oring is also acting as a spacer so make sure it isnt crushed
I've checked that out several times and still no change. Is there any other things that might cause this problem? Is there any chance that the tone ring could be loose or something?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yes, other then the new sensor itself being bad, the tone ring on the crankshaft has been known to lose its tooth, and or become dislodged from the crank.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mini14
yes, other then the new sensor itself being bad, the tone ring on the crankshaft has been known to lose its tooth, and or become dislodged from the crank.
I've tried two new sensors and even one off my buddies truck that is identical to this one and still didn't help. I guess i need to drop the pan and check the tone ring and make sure it's still tight and not missing any teeth. Thanks!