24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No Start, Lots of Fuel, Bad VP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just happen to be having the same issue with the father inlaws truck.his was running fine, and died on the side of the road. we turned it over till it was dead and never got fuel to any of the cracked injectors 1,3,4.we traced fuel all the way to the inlet banjo on the VP but on cracking the lines leaving the front of the VP or at the injectors NO FUEL. were leaning towards a shot VP 250,000km on the original 2001.but could be an expensive guess.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Success!!! Finally got it started.... boy what a pain to get all the air out. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Are you going to fill us in on how you did it?
Old 04-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Sure, and I sincerely hope this helps someone else..
I knew I had fuel to the injector pump by bumping the starter. When I "cracked" the lines at the injector it would produce fuel too. I tried it alone and with a helper a dozen times with no results. By "cracking" the line I mean backing off the threads far enough to let some fuel escape. That apparently wasn't far enough. I finally fully unthreaded three of the nuts (1,3,4) exposing the ends of the lines and cranked it vigorously. I wanted to see if I was getting high pressure pulses or if the lift pump was just pushing a little fuel past the injector pump. I was in fact getting high pressure fuel so I tightened them back up and the truck started on the next attempt. To sum it up, it appears that just backing the threads off until fuel comes out isn't enough to burp all the air out of the lines.
I am so happy that I'm not shopping for a new injector pump that I think I'll buy a fuel pressure gauge. Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM

MooseT,

Good going. I never had to completely unthread the HP lines at the injector, but did have to crank the starter a lot longer than seeemed reasonable. Its just the way it is. I'm suppossing you did a nice little happy dance as your truck came to life again.

Still chasing why my fuel system loses prime every time after truck sets for 5-6 hrs. You figure this one out for me and I'll send you some of this 80 degree weather we're having in OH.

And DieselNomad, I had the same problem you describe--thought something (ECM or PCM) was turning off the solenoid inside the vp44--ended up being the vp44 diaphram broken in several pieces...