24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No start after new VP

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start after new VP

A little background...

A couple months ago the truck died while driving.
Had fuel to the injectors, but would not start. Ran the codes, and decided it was a dead VP.
Bought new VP and while I was there I decided to rebuild the the vacuum pump and replace the cam position sensor.

Finally got to rebuilding the truck.

Got the entire thing back together and now the truck will not start.

I have cracked injectors 1 and 3, I have 15psi fuel pressure. I have no fuel at the injectors.
I removed the Van Aaken box and the Quadzilla from the system to eliminate them from the equation.
I cranked until the batteries would not crank the engine anymore.

What could I be missing???
Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

Perhaps a bad connection at the VP, CKP, or CMP? Got codes? Try cracking more injectors first.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM

no crank position sensor, I thought. I replaced the cam position sensor since I was already there....
Only see the 1693 code, but that could be left from the original problem.. I tried clearing the codes and it left that one and would not clear it....

I will try a couple other injectors, but I have always been able to start the truck with just cracking 1 & 3 after the new injectors and once when it ran out of fuel.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 2000 does have a crank position sensor. It's right above and behind the starter. I think that was the last year they had them.

Might also try swapping the fuel pump and horn relays in the fuse box under the hood. Could have a bad relay.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldDodgeOwner
Might also try swapping the fuel pump and horn relays in the fuse box under the hood. Could have a bad relay.
As stated above, I have 15 psi fuel pressure......
Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

When I did mine I was told to crack 1, 3, and 5. But it seems as though at the very least you would have fuel at the injector but it may not start. Are you sure the key did not fall out when you installed the VP?

On edit, how do you know you have 15 psi fuel pressure if the truck wont start? You should not have 15 psi while cranking.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM

I am not sure the key did not fall out.....

I can say that I did not hear it fall out. I know what that sounds like because it happened when I removed the original pump.

I know I have fuel pressure, because my gauge tells me so...

I am facing tearing it down again to find out, and I am not really interested in that.. I have had the pump in and out at least three times so far...
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

The fuel pump relay is for the injection pump, not the lift pump. If that relay is fried, the truck will not start. The horn relay is the same relay, so you can swap them and eliminate one issue.

If you have 15psi from the lift pump while cranking, that's not right either. The lift pump should not be pumping while cranking. It should run for a couple seconds, build pressure, then shut off until the motor is running.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM

The fuel pump relay is for the injection pump, not the lift pump. If that relay is fried, the truck will not start. The horn relay is the same relay, so you can swap them and eliminate one issue.
I did not know that.. I will check that tomorrow, thanks.
If you have 15psi from the lift pump while cranking, that's not right either. The lift pump should not be pumping while cranking. It should run for a couple seconds, build pressure, then shut off until the motor is running.
That is how is is reacting.. I have fuel pressure when I bump the starter and then the gauge drops when I start cranking.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Ok, the lift pump's working correctly then.

Are you checking codes with the odometer or a code reader?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Ok, the lift pump's working correctly then.

Are you checking codes with the odometer or a code reader?
All I have right now is the odometer..
Does the truck not have to run to accurately check codes? Or will codes be thrown just during the cranking cycle.?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM

They will be thrown during the crank cycle. Some codes won't show up on the odometer though. The 1693 code may be showing something new since the replacement but you might need a code reader to check it. I know on mine I had some that didn't show on the odometer, but would show when I read them on my Superchips.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 PM

I guess I borrow a code reader tomorrow and see what she says......
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

That's the only thing I can think offhand. Definitely try swapping them relays too. Quick,easy check.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by b4wheeler
I am not sure the key did not fall out.....

I can say that I did not hear it fall out. I know what that sounds like because it happened when I removed the original pump.
You may be able to see it with a mirror if you take the breather housing off. Might not need to tear the whole thing apart to see it. I can't remember if you can see it behind the retaining nut though...

Do you have fuel in your fuel filter housing? how long does it take to fill it up? Could there be an air leak somewhere that is causing a loss of prime? Have you bumped your starter to see if it will hold pressure?

Quick Reply: No start after new VP