24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

no 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question no 1st gear

what would stop a auto tranny from down shifting into 1st i can get it to shift every now and then. would some thing in the VB do this or ? how hard are thay rebuild who has the parts where can i start looking and what should be looking at i only have 98000 miles on the darn truck i dont drive it hard and the trailer i pull is only 4500pounds
Old 07-26-2006, 07:59 PM

mudslinger, it's quite a common problem area with our 47RE trannys, the same thing happened to me as well.

it was the governor pressure sensor and the governor pressure solenoid. do a search for these terms and you'll get a bunch of info. if there's anymore questions about this just ask.

like i said, it happened to me and A LOT of other auto tranny guys on here and it is a common problem and a total do it yourselfer job. the parts are cheap (can't remember exact figures sorry) but all you need to do is drop the tranny pan, pull the sensor and soleoid out (their electrical components), might as well replace the filter while your under there (i did, and i think you might even have to take it off to get to the parts can't rember), put pan back on with new gasket, replace fluid lost, and your done, it's that easy just a couple of hours or so.

like i said, feel free to ask any questions, and look on the bright side, you made it further than i did, mine was at about 50,000 miles or so
Old 07-26-2006, 08:05 PM

thanks ill put it in the garage tonight where can i get these parts napa or??
Old 07-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by muddslinger
thanks ill put it in the garage tonight where can i get these parts napa or??
ya man, i'd recommend NAPA, that's where i went. told them the truck year make model yada yada, but be sure you know that it's a 47RE tranny, b/c different kinds of trannys come up in their books, they tried to give me the parts for a 46RH which is used in the durangos and dakotas for example.

let me know how you come out man, and if ya need any help just ask, i'm always up for helping someone but you should be able to handle it it's RELLY simple and it did fix my problem for good.

after you run it for a while, be sure to check the tranny fluid level too, i didn't do this and it then had problems going from R to D, then i thought "oh man what now" but it was just the fluid, so don't forget that. and i believe it's actually ATF+4 that should be used, which i was wrongly informed on and i used ATF+3, which still works just a well, but it's not the right spec.

good luck and let me know how you turn out!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM

i tryied 3 napa stores in milwaukee thay say thay dont carry them do you have any part numbers or a differnt place to find them?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM

hmmm...that's a bummer man, and also weird. my napa store had them in stock and everything, and it's just a little small town family owned store too.

i don't know where else to find the parts, i'll try calling them and getting a part # for you. otherwise, just call around your local auto parts stores and see if they have anything.

good luck and i'll be in touch and let ya know on those part #s
Old 07-28-2006, 06:04 PM

ok bud, i talked to mark at my loal napa store and is what they do is they get the parts from a tranny warehouse in the "big city" and then i get the parts resold from napa. now, i when i called mark, he said the place was closed until monday , but if i call back then he can call the place and get some numbers for me. other than that man, i'm sorry i can't be of more help. do you live in a real small town like me too or is there a lot of parts/tranny shops to choose from? if so, just call everyone you can think of and see if they have what you need. i can call him back on monday for ya if you want, but if you need your truck, i know that's a long time to wait. just let me know what you find out or decide.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:15 PM

well i got the parts from the dealer i hope thay are right the one has two lil coils and long wire and a black plug at the end the other has is small black L shaped i just droped the pan ill get back out there and finsh after i cool down the price i got on the parts was right my buddy runs a car lot and he has a acc at the dealer i did find a napa that could order the parts i would get them in a day or two i thank you and this forum for your help
Old 07-28-2006, 10:54 PM

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...e=A518solenoid not to pricey here i think i paid $112 for the solenoid & the sensor
Old 07-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by muddslinger
well i got the parts from the dealer i hope thay are right the one has two lil coils and long wire and a black plug at the end the other has is small black L shaped i just droped the pan ill get back out there and finsh after i cool down the price i got on the parts was right my buddy runs a car lot and he has a acc at the dealer i did find a napa that could order the parts i would get them in a day or two i thank you and this forum for your help
i think that is the one for the o/d
Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

1st gear

Hmmmm "wont work in 1st" yaa it needs a new Injection pump.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:05 AM

back to the parts house thanks it is so hard to find some one that knows how to look up parts thanks again