24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Newbie here that needs some direction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie here that needs some direction.

OK guys, so here I am leaving the chevy group and looking at a dodge with a cummins of course. Now, in the begining stages of my research I have decided on a few things. 1) I want a 2001 or 2002 (I think) and 2) I want an automatic. I am reading and hearing that the biggest problem that dodge is having is tranny problems. That may of just been the first few years, but I am here to inquire about what items I should look for. I will of course take any vehicle I am serious about buying to a mechanic for a full inspection, but what can I look for and listen/feel for when test driving? Also, as I have never owned a diesel, sometimes the price they want and the mileage seem very off, but I know a gasser can't last as llong as a diesel so 150K isn't that bad on a diesel like a gasser. I recently read the 3 click trick so that will help. I plan on using this for a side business I have where I will tow about 3500 lbs in some hilly terrain, but I am sure a cummins can easily handle that. I plan on carfaxing and vin researching any truck I am looking at, but any feedback about things to look for is greatly appreciated.

Also, would it be better to take a vehicle for an inspection to a independent mechanic or a dealer?

Great site and thanks in advance for any help you can provide; now back to reading!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:50 PM

I love my 2000 truck but the fuel system has been problematic. If I were looking for my first Dodge diesel, or looking to trade, I would really look at the 3rd generation with the electronic fuel injection system. You're rid of the Bosch/lift pump issues. Be sure to read through the forums here and you'll begin to understand the strengths/weaknesses of the different year models.

Good luck!

GrampZ
Old 08-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by GrampZ
I love my 2000 truck but the fuel system has been problematic. If I were looking for my first Dodge diesel, or looking to trade, I would really look at the 3rd generation with the electronic fuel injection system. You're rid of the Bosch/lift pump issues. Be sure to read through the forums here and you'll begin to understand the strengths/weaknesses of the different year models.

Good luck!

GrampZ
thanks for the quick reply. Am I reading right that the fuel system change was in 2001?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by tlhfirelion
thanks for the quick reply. Am I reading right that the fuel system change was in 2001?
Nope the 2nd gen with the ISB engine is '98 to '02 1/2. I think. The 3rd gen is '03 and newer.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Nope the 2nd gen with the ISB engine is '98 to '02 1/2. I think. The 3rd gen is '03 and newer.
darn....thats when they changed the body style to the current look isn't it?
I don't like the new look as much as the older ones.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 PM

If you're mechanically inclined and don't mind adding some gauges to monitor some important stuff, don't be too scared of the ISB. When I got mine my friend who'd had one for years made me promise the first thing I was going to do was put a fuel pressure gauge on it. I put gauges in for fuel press./boost/EGT/and trans. temp.
I'm really glad I did that as I have had 6 lift pumps fail. If it fails and you don't know it, it's only a matter of time until the truck quits and you're paying for a very expensive injection pump.
Other that that, there are few issues that should keep you from looking at these year models.
My neighbor has an '01 and just paid for a new VP44 and lift pump. Now he's getting gauges!!
Also, personally I like to spend my money on American made goods when possible. I looked at about 50 trucks until I found a nice one made in the USA. Easy to tell. USA trucks the VIN starts with a "1". Canadian made trucks start with a "2". Trucks made in Mexico(lots of these around), the VIN starts with "3".
A friend of mine feels the same way but didn't know about the VIN codes. His new truck(special order) was made in Mexico. He was ******!! I told him that his factory manual was only one page long.....

Page 1. "If she breaks today, we fix her manana!"
Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 PM

If you're mechanically inclined and don't mind adding some gauges to monitor some important stuff, don't be too scared of the ISB. When I got mine my friend who'd had one for years made me promise the first thing I was going to do was put a fuel pressure gauge on it. I put gauges in for fuel press./boost/EGT/and trans. temp.
I'm really glad I did that as I have had 6 lift pumps fail. If it fails and you don't know it, it's only a matter of time until the truck quits and you're paying for a very expensive injection pump.
Other that that, there are few issues that should keep you from looking at these year models.
My neighbor has an '01 and just paid for a new VP44 and lift pump. Now he's getting gauges!!
Also, personally I like to spend my money on American made goods when possible. I looked at about 50 trucks until I found a nice one made in the USA. Easy to tell. USA trucks the VIN starts with a "1". Canadian made trucks start with a "2". Trucks made in Mexico(lots of these around), the VIN starts with "3".
A friend of mine feels the same way but didn't know about the VIN codes. His new truck(special order) was made in Mexico. He was ******!! I told him that his factory manual was only one page long.....

Page 1. "If she breaks today, we fix her manana!"
LOL good quote but I am afraid I am not very mechanically inclined. WHat do guages normally run? If there are a few things I need to do to a truck to make it run good (but keep it close to stock) then thats ok, but I don't want to buy a money pit.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by tlhfirelion
LOL good quote but I am afraid I am not very mechanically inclined. WHat do guages normally run? If there are a few things I need to do to a truck to make it run good (but keep it close to stock) then thats ok, but I don't want to buy a money pit.
I probably have about $500 in gauges and I spent $300 on ebay for a Superchips tuner. Plug it in and have more horsepower. Couldn't be easier.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:25 PM

cal me odd, but I usually leave my trucks totally stock except for an upgrade in tires to BFG's. The stock power on a gasser is more than enough for me, but I like all the diesels have to offer, especially the long lasting part (as long as they are taken care of mind you). I would most likely get the guages, but chips and what not would not be in my plan. This sure is a great website and thank you for your replies grampz.

Bump for more replies.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Another thing about the diesels is the fuel economy. I get about 18 mpg and that's running hard. A gas rig that size/weight would be lucky to get half that. With fuel at $3+ a gallon that's nothing to sneeze at.
The chip tuner adds just enough to make it a little more frisky. It's fun to drive but harder on tires!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM

There are plenty of stock dodges getting 20+ mpg. My 92 (4:10 rears) gets a little better than 20 and I have talked to folks with 3:55 rears that get about 23+. You migh also consider a scan gauge rather than gauges for about $170....does more than gauges.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by TNfarmboy
There are plenty of stock dodges getting 20+ mpg. My 92 (4:10 rears) gets a little better than 20 and I have talked to folks with 3:55 rears that get about 23+. You migh also consider a scan gauge rather than gauges for about $170....does more than gauges.
that scan guage looks like a pretty good idea. I will look more at that link. I have to get the truck first. lol Good post thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Another thing about the diesels is the fuel economy. I get about 18 mpg and that's running hard. A gas rig that size/weight would be lucky to get half that. With fuel at $3+ a gallon that's nothing to sneeze at.
The chip tuner adds just enough to make it a little more frisky. It's fun to drive but harder on tires!
Yeah I have to kind of laugh at some of my friends that mock me for looking at a diesel. They get 14 in their V8's and they wonder why I want to pay 20 cents mroe per gallon to get 20 with more power. ***??? lol
Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 PM

you might also wanna check if it has a "53" block cause i've heard those blocks tend to crack real easy
Old 08-23-2006, 10:29 PM

Diesel truck

I think that buying a diesel is almost like getting a free option, because compared to a gas engine, when you go to sell it, the diesel will get you alot more money in the end.

Quick Reply: Newbie here that needs some direction.