24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everyone, im new here and am a first time diesel owner. i have gone over my owners manual but i wanted to get any suggestions to help me get the longest life out of the truck, with already 113000 miles on it

any topics like
-warm up time before driving
-is it bad to turn off motor for short periods of time (like ordering at drive thru)
-which type of diesel is best for this motor

anything else that im sure yall just know already

thanks!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site blake2500!
Using the Search function will help you find a lot of answers and/or opinions.

"-warm up time before driving"
I crank mine up and by the time I get the seatbelt buckled and look over the gauges, I pull out and drive conservatively until the temps come up.

"-is it bad to turn off motor for short periods of time (like ordering at drive thru)"
As long as the truck idles long enough for the EGT's (exhaust gas temperature) to cool down to at least 300 degrees. (I have full gauges installed and recommend them as your first accessory add-on) This only takes a minute or two depending how hard the motor was working before pulling up to the drive-thru and I've never pulled off the interstate and straight up to the drive thru window.

"-which type of diesel is best for this motor"
I use diesel from stations that sell a lot of diesel,,, like big truckstops. I haven't had a chance to run any bio-diesel yet, but quite a few on the forum like it and it's good for the injection pump on these 2nd gen trucks. I like to run a bottle of Diesel Kleen or one of the other additives every other tank or so to help with the lubrication of the VP-44 injection pump.
These are just a few of my opinions and you will find more as you read the forums. We have a really good bunch of folks here who are always ready to help answer any questions.
*IMO,,, A fuel pressure gauge is one of the first gauges you need, as the VP-44 trucks tend to lose the lift pump (or transfer pump) which can starve the injection pump and cause it to fail. Being able to monitor the fuel pressure will show you when the lift pump is getting weak. 14-15psi is normal for a new pump and anything under 10psi should get your attention.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome.....

ditto to the above...

as for warmup...i take off as soon as i see oil pressure build up to normal range...i take it easy for maybe the first couple of blocks really not to long.

for cool down....it varies...some say 300 some say 350 and my personal mechanic says below 400 is ok. i try to stay between 300 and 350.....most of the time driving around town you wont see EGTs get above 800 and they drop faster than you think. when you hit the parking lot just let it roll to the place you plan to park or (drive through) most of the time your egts will drop to a place that is suitable to turn off the truck.

fuel...just as stated....try to stick to a high volume station...and try to stick to a known diesel producer...chevron,valero are my local favs....i have a local truck stop and just like it was mentioned i go there.

as for the additive...ashless 2 stroke every other tank for me...1 oz per gallon i ususally put 20 gallons in each time i hit the station so i carry a pre filled bottle of 20 oz of 2 stroke....i add half of it to the tank then add the 20 gallons of fuel and then drop in the rest of the 2 stroke...

by no means am i a diesel guru...but with the help of this site i am learning fast.....i have YET TO BE STEERED WRONG here everything that has been told to me has checked out to be correct...these guys are great and wouldnt lead you astray.....

NCA
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Cummins!
You will find that most people will insist you install fuel pressure gauge first of all on your 2nd gen truck. The FP gauge will let you monitor the pressure provided by the lift pump to the injection pump. It is commonly believed that low pressure will cause diaphragm damage on the injection pump, leading to increased wear and finally pump failure. The IP is a high cost item ($900-1500) so monitoring FP is a cheap insurance.
You will also see that many people whose lift pumps (LPs) fail, install a higher performance lift pumps (FASS, Walbro, Holley Blue, pusher combos etc.) that you may choose to do if you happen to have a failing or dear LP.
Good luck and enjoy the truck!
-P