24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Newb. questions intro request for help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That can and gauge combo....not real acturate. My dad is a retired heating and cooling business owner, still has a lot of his tools. I tried the can combo, didn't drop my temps to lower than 81 and the gauge kept saying it had enough, took it to my dad, put on his gauges and it needed more freon, put it in and then temps dropped to 62, that was the best he do. Just for grins we put the can combo back on and checked its gauge, it didn't change its reading from the origninal. THats just my experience.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same experience using that stuff, I have a leak that kept coming back every summer but the dealer could never find it. I tried that can and it said it was full (which I knew it wasn't) so I added some anyways, which didn't help. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a pound low. Although I think the can did seal my leak because this year the problem did not reappear.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
I agree with the evaporator leak idea. I did several at the dealer when I was there. Sometimes on start up you could smell the freon in the cab, as long as the fan was on high and it had a charge, but only on start up. Actually I liked doing the evap's at the dealer on the trucks, it was such "gravy" as we techs call easy work. It's a modular dash, unplug a couple large wire connectors, drop the steering wheel down toward the floor, unbolt the dash and out she comes. Unhook your lines/hoses, unbolt the heater/ac box, pull out, install new evap...and back together. It was easily done in a couple hours.....to bad you don't live closer to Nashville, I need a little side job!!
I'm putting you on my local goodguy list.