24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Newb. questions intro request for help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb. questions intro request for help

I wish I would have found this site 3 hours ago...I just bought a 2001 2500 24V with 165K miles on it infact it's still at the lot(no one to drive it home). I paid 13,5 for it so as long as I dont need the VP and my block isnt cracked I think I got a good deal?

I didnt check FP when test driving and didnt know about the 53 block thing and from all I read it seems like with 165K miles my truck will fall apart when I drive it home. That being said...

The truck drove prefect no tranny slipping, no hesitation in acceleration, shifted 2wd to 4wd fine . There we no visible leaks where it was parked and none after driving hard to full temp and sitting for 1 hr...the only thing wroing was the AC didnt blow cold needs recharge???

Any chance I've lucked out and found a truck not plagued with the VP and block issues?

I dont plan to add anything to the truck just leave it stock although gauges sound like a requirement. If there is anyone around south puget sound or close that would like to assist me by taking a look at the truck and making sure it looks alright and maybe help with a gauge install we could work out some payment beer food cash who knows...

Thansk in advance for you help I hope I'm not here often!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Don't get to nervous yet. The failure rate of the injections system and the 53 block is much higher on here than in real life, because alot of people don't post unless there having problems. Enjoy the new truck, and good luck keeping it stock

Randy
Old 07-14-2006, 05:18 PM

Thanks Randy...Anyone else? Any ideas on the AC
Old 07-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Have them test the AC system for leaks before you take it home.
The Rams have a nasty habit of the evaporators (the part under the dash) corroding and needing to be replaced.
(I just dropped $1200 at the dealer to have mine replaced on my '99)
Might as well make it on THEIR dime.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 PM

on my 01' I spend $15 a year on a/c recharges you can do it yourself in 10 minutes. as for the 53 block, being an 01' you are likely out of the woods, as for the life of the vp44, some are awesome, most are ok and a good many are crummy.....time will tell. I have about the same miles on my truck and love it to death.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:51 PM

Definately the evaporator is shot. Time consuming but easy fix for a good shade tree mech. 250 bucks in parts is all you need.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Registered

was it at a Dodge dealership? have them run the vin and get the history of the truck. Ask about a warranty most lots give a 30-90 day at no charge, but you will want to know up front and in writing where you stand
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 PM

update...

Update---Picked up the truck I didnt see 53 stamped on the block anywhere. Didnt find any codes so thats good. Truck ran fine all the home so just going to enjoy it for now. Buying edge juice with attitude and installing. dont intend to tap the line yet dont want to strain the tranny using it mostly for gauges.

Shovelhead- they would not do any tests I got the truck really cheap and they would not do any work to the truck.

Blackdiesel- no it was a chevy *********** but plan to contact to service Dept of the dealer where the truck was originally bought to try and see if they can pull up any service records. I have never found a dealership that offers free warranties on their used cars...none in WA do. thanks for the advice.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by sacnvr2l8
Update---Picked up the truck I didnt see 53 stamped on the block anywhere. Didnt find any codes so thats good. Truck ran fine all the home so just going to enjoy it for now. Buying edge juice with attitude and installing. dont intend to tap the line yet dont want to strain the tranny using it mostly for gauges.

Shovelhead- they would not do any tests I got the truck really cheap and they would not do any work to the truck.

Blackdiesel- no it was a chevy *********** but plan to contact to service Dept of the dealer where the truck was originally bought to try and see if they can pull up any service records. I have never found a dealership that offers free warranties on their used cars...none in WA do. thanks for the advice.
If you're just looking for gauges out of your Attitude why not just buy the Quadzilla Commander, it's much cheaper than the whole Juice w/Attitude and you can get it from the DTR shop.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:36 AM

lsgibb- looks like the quadzilla is about 400...With a bit of patience ive seen the edge on ebay for 500. I willing to pay the xtra 100 so if I eventually want to use the xtra power i can.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Chapter President

I agree with the evaporator leak idea. I did several at the dealer when I was there. Sometimes on start up you could smell the freon in the cab, as long as the fan was on high and it had a charge, but only on start up. Actually I liked doing the evap's at the dealer on the trucks, it was such "gravy" as we techs call easy work. It's a modular dash, unplug a couple large wire connectors, drop the steering wheel down toward the floor, unbolt the dash and out she comes. Unhook your lines/hoses, unbolt the heater/ac box, pull out, install new evap...and back together. It was easily done in a couple hours.....to bad you don't live closer to Nashville, I need a little side job!!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by sacnvr2l8
lsgibb- looks like the quadzilla is about 400...With a bit of patience ive seen the edge on ebay for 500. I willing to pay the xtra 100 so if I eventually want to use the xtra power i can.
With as many people as I see on the boards having problems with their Edge products you might want to make sure it's warrantied. I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for that one. I'm not saying Edge stuff is bad just saying that they have their fare share of problems and then some.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:04 PM

warranty is good for 2 years from original purchse original reciept is available and 1 month old...Edge said I'm covered
Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 PM

High Country...this may sound dumb but how can you recharge your ac system yourself. Mine needs recharged but didnt want to shell out the bucks for a mechanic to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Pick up one of these at your local auto parts or Walmart.
It's the refrigerant charge complete with a gauge.
It makes it easy to "top off" your system.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=MAC134

Quick Reply: Newb. questions intro request for help