24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Pump in Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Pump in Tank

Just had a new fuel pump put in the tank to replace the lift pump that was on the block (2002 2500) by the dealer. Fuel pressure was running 10-12 # at idle, with the new pump I'm at 6-7# at idle, peddle to the floor I can drop the pressure to 0. These new in the tank retrofits, are they low pressure high volume or should I worry about the lower pressure with the in the tank pump.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tough question.

Yes, whenever your gauge read "0" there is reason for concern.
The retro-fit pumps are supposed to last longer, and provide more volume. I have yet to hear of one providing decent pressure though.

You options are many, you can put a "pusher" pump in line to get your psi up, you can get rid of some of the restrictive banjo fittings that are in-line, there are a number of things that can help. Most of them include another pump.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:31 AM

I would change out the fuel ine to a Vulcan Big Line Kit and think about adding a pusher pump.

That is the reason why I WILL NOT go to the dealer for a warranty replacement of my LP pump. I don't want that in tank problem... The next time the pump fails you got to drop the tank or remove/lift the bed. That is why I relocated the LP close to the tank and changed fuel lines. Currently I'm getting 15.0 PSI @ idle and 13.0 PSI @ WOT which is great!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:34 AM

It CANNOT be low pressure, high volume...you can't put more volume through the same old fuel lines WITHOUT higher pressure, PERIOD!! Now, if they replace all your fuel lines with bigger stuff, and all the return lines, then you could get more volume at the same pressure, but that is the only way!!

Chris

BTW, my buddy needs a new lift pump in his 02...and he's NOT going to let them put an in-tank pump in it!! If anything, he'll get a new factory pump, and sell it to help with the price of hs new pump!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
It CANNOT be low pressure, high volume...you can't put more volume through the same old fuel lines WITHOUT higher pressure, PERIOD!!
Chris
Agreed. I think I mentioned losing the banjos.....

BTW, my buddy needs a new lift pump in his 02...and he's NOT going to let them put an in-tank pump in it!! If anything, he'll get a new factory pump, and sell it to help with the price of hs new pump!
He's already crosssed that bridge, The intank is over 3 times the cost of the factory Carter. The retro's are too new for everyone to be dumping on them like they do.

It could be 2011 and people may be still running on their warrantry replacement pumps (with no VP-4 failures), vs. the rest of us who threw 3 and 4 Carters at ours.....
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM

I was dropping to 3.5 psi under hard acceleration after an in tank LP install. Had a Vulcan big line kit put in and now stay above 8 psi at hard acceleration no matter what I do (running air full blast, while towing). In my opinion, the talk about "more volume" with the in tank LP is BS as long as you have the banjo fittings. Those restrict your flow and you'll never maintain volume or pressure with them.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:17 PM

I look at this way... If you take the in tank pump and you have a failure your stuck on the highway waiting for a tow or walking. There is no way to change in tank pump on the highway.

But with the relocation of the old carter LP I don't have that problem 15 minutes and I'm back on the highway. The pumps cost less that the in tank. So why whine about it.

My Carter Campaign pump (4090046 Cummins PN) cost me all of $46.90 at Rocky Mountain Cummins in Boise, Idaho...

So while your doing the heel-toe express I'll be back in action quickly and cheap! I also keep a spare in the back seat storage with a cresent wrench...

Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM
P.J
Banned

Hey, Moparman, you got one of those fancy new "Wireless" setups?

I got my Vulcan back before Eric upgraded the hoses & fittings. Mine wouldn't suck down past 12.5 under ANY conditions.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Hey, Moparman, you got one of those fancy new "Wireless" setups?

I got my Vulcan back before Eric upgraded the hoses & fittings. Mine wouldn't suck down past 12.5 under ANY conditions.
Naw... Just very clean install... The wiring is to the right of the pump and goes up and over the top of the frame rail to the main harness on the over side. Then it follows it bad to the engine bay to make connection there...

As for my pressure 13.0 @ WOT and 15.0 @ IDLE... I say I'm good!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Agreed. I think I mentioned losing the banjos.....

The retro's are too new for everyone to be dumping on them like they do.
Maybe from a longevity stand point, but from a performance stand point, I'll dump on them all day long...