24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

new (to me) 2001 HO 6spd questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new (to me) 2001 HO 6spd questions

Good morning everyone,

I haven't posted in a good long while, due to having sold my last ram (1997 3500 automatic 4x4 club cab) about 1.5 years ago.

This past week I bought a 2 owner 4x4 2001 HO 6spd 3/4 ton long bed with 172000 miles. It is a beautiful chestnut brown color with Westin step bars and a nice interior. A few minor items will need to be attended to such as the power door locks don't operate and the power windows don't work from the "master" drivers side control but do operate individually from each door.
Also, the last couple of cold mornings, I've noticed it is a bit tricky to shift into 4th gear without a bit of gear clash. Maybe a fluid change or maybe I just need to be aware of this and baby 4th gear until the engine warms up, any ideas?

I just wanted to say "hello" to everyone after my abscence, and ask what things (engine, transmission, etc.) I should attend to right away or at least be aware of.

Specifically, how much more life can I expect from the clutch, and besides oil, which fluids should I change right away?

Thanks, and I hope to become a help to others in the future from the knowledge I obtain here!

Ted
Old 12-06-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ted_pulliam
Good morning everyone,

I haven't posted in a good long while, due to having sold my last ram (1997 3500 automatic 4x4 club cab) about 1.5 years ago.

This past week I bought a 2 owner 4x4 2001 HO 6spd 3/4 ton long bed with 172000 miles. It is a beautiful chestnut brown color with Westin step bars and a nice interior. A few minor items will need to be attended to such as the power door locks don't operate and the power windows don't work from the "master" drivers side control but do operate individually from each door.
Also, the last couple of cold mornings, I've noticed it is a bit tricky to shift into 4th gear without a bit of gear clash. Maybe a fluid change or maybe I just need to be aware of this and baby 4th gear until the engine warms up, any ideas?

I just wanted to say "hello" to everyone after my abscence, and ask what things (engine, transmission, etc.) I should attend to right away or at least be aware of.

Specifically, how much more life can I expect from the clutch, and besides oil, which fluids should I change right away?

Thanks, and I hope to become a help to others in the future from the knowledge I obtain here!

Ted
The NV5600 trans on my truck really seems to need to warm up before it wants to shift right... I also have a heavy DD clutch... Normally in the mornings I drive the first 10-20 miles double clutching into the 'sticky' gears normally 3rd and 4th for me... Makes the gears go in like butter and I dont get that wonderful grinding sound!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM

thank bnold! I see from your sig that your '01.5 is really nice!

I've had 3 diesels so far ('97 auto 4x4 CC auto 3/4 ton, '97 auto 4x4 CC 1 ton) and now the '01. This is my first stick, and I wasn't worried about the higher miles because it is after all a Cummins!!! Also I specifically wanted a stick since I've heard they can take more torque and seem to last longer.

I've got to get used to rowing all those gears especially in traffic! Can you explain to me how to "double clutch" the trans? Sorry for my ignorance, but even though I've driven all different kinds of vehicles with stick and auto, I've never understood how to do that.

From what I've heard, changing the tranny fluid is easy compared to replacing the clutch. I'm prepared to swap the fluid. Should I expect to need a clutch anytime soon (172k on the orig as far as I know).

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
BPM

Location: Shreveport LA for 10 days at a time, Groveton TX the rest
I recently sold my 01.5 and got an 07, but as you can see in my sig, it's still in the family!! Anyways, on cold mornings (which aren't very often down here) it too would be a little rough going into gear, but it wouldn't grind or anything, it would just sort of hang up between gears. My solution when it was like that was to double clutch it. That is to push the clutch in and come out of gear, then release the clutch and then press it back in and go to the next gear. Simply put, press in once to come out of a gear, and press in a second time to go to the next gear. That was my solution until it was warm, but after that I didn't double clutch it anymore.

HTH, and welcome back to the diesel world!!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:36 AM

BPM, that is exactly the explanation I needed! I'm glad to be a Dodge diesel owner again! I'll begin double clutching on cold mornings.

Congratulations on your '07!

Ted
Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 PM

if your truck has the original lift pump, i would look into replacing it for preventative maint.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM

Same with mine. My NV5600 tranny likes to grind into 3rd and 4th gear when its cold too. But it usually quits in the summer. I guess its fairly common because of the design of the tranny. A little practice at double clutching and you won't even have to think about it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-06-2007, 11:04 PM

And for even easier shifting..
clutch in-out of gear
clutch out- raise RPMs to approx where the next gear will put you
clutch in- next gear
clutch out - Foot to Floor!

Takes a bit of practice, after a while you dont even realize you do it... Trans shift like butter... And after things are nice and warmed up and lubed shift normal...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Everyone, thanks for the good advice! I have it down pat now. I really love my new truck!

Ted
Old 12-07-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 184,000 on my 5600. It has always been touchy going into 3rd gear.
Its like the syncros foget to work at times. Cold tranny is notchy going into third as well.

I know when the shift to third is not going to be any good by the way it feels comming out of 2nd. It kinda wants to go to third by itself. I never have any trouble with the third gear shift when towing the trailer? Don't know why that is.

Dave
Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM

Ive noticed the symptoms with mine. It dosent grind yet, but it can be very contrary at times. As CoastalDav stated, it feels so much better while towing or loaded.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM

also, when changing your oil in the tranny, a lot of guys recommend overfilling it by a quart. You can either do this thru the top pto cover bolt, or by taking the shifter out and doing it thru there. I think there were problems with the input shaft bearing getting starved for oil when pulling a long grade. Alot of guys have had good success with the Pennzoil Syncromesh oil, or if you prefer something synthetic, the Redline MTL. From what I hear, the factory mopar stuff actually works quite good as well. Some have said the Amsoil stuff works good, but it doesn't seem to hold up as long as the others. I myself am using the RoyalPurple stuff and am not all that thrilled with it.
I'm also having the same proplem as you with the tranny not wanting to go into gear to nice. I think my problem is clutch related. I've noticed some fluid leaking from my clutch master cylinder and running down the firewall. I think I'm gonna go with one of Southbends hyd. upgrade kits as I wanna put a twin disc in it eventually anyways. But maybe thats something else you wanna check out too, especially with the miles you have. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_pulliam
Good morning everyone,

Ted
Ted, welcome back!

I'd change the tranny fluid to one of the following:
1) Mopar lube in Mopar bottles (very $$)
2) Redline MTL-- many have good luck with it, others notice no improvement
3) Torco tranny lube
4) Amsoil MTF

The 6-speed seems to like new fluid every 30K or so, though I've changed mine more often. With frequent changes, the 5600 seems to last a good long time. It won't win any speed shifting contests, but it seems to work fine once it's warmed up a bit. The double-clutching seems to help, but RPM matching and smooth driving help the most.

It would be a really good idea to check the fuel pressure somehow and see how that lift pump is doing. You should consider installing a gauge on a permanent basis; a cheapo little $20 liquid filled gauge is more than adequate. Jeg's and Summit both have little 1.5" gauges for $20 that are all mechanical and very simple to install.

Other guages are pretty nice to have too: pyro, boost, etc-- but if your truck is stock, the fuel pressure is all I'd really worry about.

I'd put a new fuel filter in it and change the oil/filter in it, too. With that, I'd also change the differential(s), too-- they probably have never been changed and could use it. The Redline gear oil is great stuff-- try the shockproof heavy.

Then I'd drive the snot out of it.

Justin
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Ted, welcome back!

I'd change the tranny fluid to one of the following:
1) Mopar lube in Mopar bottles (very $$)
2) Redline MTL-- many have good luck with it, others notice no improvement
3) Torco tranny lube
4) Amsoil MTF

The 6-speed seems to like new fluid every 30K or so, though I've changed mine more often. With frequent changes, the 5600 seems to last a good long time. It won't win any speed shifting contests, but it seems to work fine once it's warmed up a bit. The double-clutching seems to help, but RPM matching and smooth driving help the most.

It would be a really good idea to check the fuel pressure somehow and see how that lift pump is doing. You should consider installing a gauge on a permanent basis; a cheapo little $20 liquid filled gauge is more than adequate. Jeg's and Summit both have little 1.5" gauges for $20 that are all mechanical and very simple to install.

Other guages are pretty nice to have too: pyro, boost, etc-- but if your truck is stock, the fuel pressure is all I'd really worry about.

I'd put a new fuel filter in it and change the oil/filter in it, too. With that, I'd also change the differential(s), too-- they probably have never been changed and could use it. The Redline gear oil is great stuff-- try the shockproof heavy.

Then I'd drive the snot out of it.

Justin
Justin (and the others!), thanks for the good advice, and for the welcome! I will definitely get a fuel pressure gauge ASAP. I have already changed the rear diff fluid (80W-90 with 5% LSD modifier), and will flush and refill the 5600 ASAP. I topped off my transfer case, and tonight or tomorrow will change the oil and filter to Rotella 15w-40.

I'll replace the fuel filter next week. What about valve adjustment? I notice the manual that came with the truck indicated there was a valve adjustment due at 150,000, and I've got 173,000 on it right now. I have no way of knowing what service has been performed since the records weren't with the truck at purchase.

Someone else mentioned the clutch. Am I due a clutch replacement? It sounds like Southbend makes a good one.

I am enjoying the truck more and more!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM

Hohn, do you have a link to the JEGS fuel pressure gauge? I searched and found the following page:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...63500_-1_10339

What fuel pressure am I looking for? I've got the Haynes manual and that will probably tell me also, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Ted

Quick Reply: new (to me) 2001 HO 6spd questions