24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New guy with 1999 3/4 ton 5 speed 150k miles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with 1999 3/4 ton 5 speed 150k miles.

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I have purchased a 1999 White on Grey extended cab larami (sp) 5 speed. I have a few minor issues first this truck is a virgin never even an aftermarket filter installed on it seems to have factory clutch rear end is dry trans is dry motor has a small leak on the front driver side of the engine. From what I can tell most of it is coming out of the blow down tube and then back onto the frame under engine power steering etc and collecting. What is the trick to the oil coming out of the blowdown tube is anyone using a catchcan of some type with vent like race cars have? My next issue and this is really bugging me is the clutch peddle sqeeks very very loud every time I push it in? ***?? I sprayed it down with lube and nothing it seems to be very noisy in am when first get going and after a while it will stop and then come back please tell me how to fix this. Last little thing is the seatbelts will not retract on either seat and they are built into the seats how do ya fix them? I am ready to modify in near future but want to tidy up some of this first. Thanks Chris
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 PM

First off welcome to DTR! there are catch cans for the blowdown tube. i've seen links on this site for them but i cant find them right now. you could make you own too.

for the squeeking clutch, is it coming from inside the cab? if so you can get the new bushings for the rod that it pivots on from a dodge dealer and they arent that expensive.

my 98 has the seatbelts in the seat as well. not sure how to get to it though.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
On a quad cab, the seatbelt retractors contain electric solenoids that control the locking and unlocking of the retractors. There is a control module built in to the underside of the seat. I can't remember the specifics of diagnostics, but check all your fuses and look under the seat for any connectors that may have become disconnected.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:19 AM

Thank you guys very helpful! If you guys get the pictures or names of the place the catch can is coming from please let me know and if anyone has the part # for the bushings on the inside part of the clutch please post them. Thanks Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM

heres another thread about replacing the bushings for the clutch pedal. no part numbers yet though.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=clutch+pedal
Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Hello and welcome to DTR. I too had the same problem with my driver side seat belt, as it was just the one it immediatly ruled out module or fuse found disconnected harness under the seat. Cause I assume shoving all that good stuff under the seat because I did it again down the road. Took a better look at the connector it looked like it should have a lock tab but mine didn't tape to the rescue and a little more care shoveling things under the seat. Oil Leak gets worse when your four wheeling down steep hills. Food for thought.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
After giving your seat belt problem some more thought, I'm thinking it probably isn't electrical in nature. The solenoids, when energized, allow the seat belts to extend, and when non-energized prevent the belts from extending. I believe the belts are allowed to retract at all times, whether the solenoids are energized or not.

First I would extend each belt fully, and make sure it is not twisted in the retractor. Often I've experienced seat belt retractors that have become lazy over years of use, dirt, and static electricity. They will retract somewhat, but are sluggish and intermittent. On those I will extend the belt all the way and give the whole length of belt a quick spray with silicone spray. It helps a lot. Maybe you just need to give that a try.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:31 PM

I got two of these white plastic bushings for my clutch pedel any one got any pointers on best way of getting them in there? I didn't look very hard but man not allot of room. Thanks CD
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 PM

if you take the panel off the bottom of the dash (right infront of your knees as your sitting in it) that might give you some more room to work. other than that i'm not sure what to tell ya. good luck!! let us know how it works out.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Has any of you had the sqeeky clutch pedal before? This pedal is super loud and all of a sudden it will go away for a few min's then back to sqeeky again! My trans or cluch department has a tin can sound while running but when you push the clutch in it stops the noise alltogether. Is this the throwout bearing or somthing else? I can't really hear it running down the road either just while sitting with clutch out. If its the Throwout bearing will it hurt anything to make some noise like this? Thank everyone. CD
Old 01-13-2010, 02:29 PM

clutch sqeek

Chris My clutch did that for a long time. (99 2500 2wd) then the master cylinder went bad, replaced both master and slave cylinders sqeek went away. When I took mine apart the bushing was still in good shape. I'm not sure, but could it have been the master cylinder? Not sure if that helps, but thought I would mentio it
Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris Derrick
Has any of you had the sqeeky clutch pedal before? CD
I just removed the panel under the dash & sprayed the clutch pivot. Hasn't squeaked since. Try that first.