24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Fuel Pump in the tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Fuel Pump in the tank

I just paid a grand to have Dodge put the fuel pump in the tank ( some of the costs of living in Hawaii and having a truck in California)

My question is will the new fuel pump change in any way the priming of the fuel filter when I change it or do I just keep doing it the same way ? (by filling the canister with fuel then cycling the pump several times before start up)
I change it once when I get to California each year and once when I head hometo Kauai
Old 05-29-2006, 06:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ouch! A $1,000 for a fuel pump? For $400 you could have ended the LP problems and bought a more reliable FASS II after market pump. Installation is about 2 hours.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I drain, wipe clean, then fill my fuel canister 3/4 full with fresh clean fuel then screw on the filter top with the filter and it does overflow just a little.
I'll then bump the starter to cycle the pump 3 times then start the motor....it should still work with your intank.
What's yer lift pump fuel pressure?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 PM

P-Kid, Not trying to hijack your thread. I had mine done to.

The dealer replaced my stock LP with a tank mounted pump last Friday. After they ran a VP volume test (and failed), my truck is still there to have the VP replaced Tuesday (both under warranty with 90k miles)

I'm reading on different boards that this may not be the best preventive fix for the LPs by moving them to the tank, But, not much choice if using dealer and DC warranty......

Does anyone use a LP in the "old" oem location (where the dealer now puts a block) in tandem with the dealer relocated tank pump???
Old 05-30-2006, 01:19 AM

When their are 3,600 miles of Pacific between you and your truck you just pay! If I was there I would have done it myself. The truck was surging and if I hooked up the EZ chip it went nuts shuddering ( pulling or not ) So I bought the service advisors line and got the pump. Now I go to Abbotsford Canada on July 12th to get the new DTT transmission they have built for me ( $ 4,000 ) and I should be ready to haul?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Pineapple Kid
When their are 3,600 miles of Pacific between you and your truck you just pay! If I was there I would have done it myself. The truck was surging and if I hooked up the EZ chip it went nuts shuddering ( pulling or not ) So I bought the service advisors line and got the pump. Now I go to Abbotsford Canada on July 12th to get the new DTT transmission they have built for me ( $ 4,000 ) and I should be ready to haul?
I for one am not criticizing your decision. You do what you have to. I was lucky that mine failed during the warranty period.

FWIW,
I had a long talk with the Service Manager today at the dealership. He said the current consensus with DC is transfer pump flow rate, not pressure is what the VP needs to survive. (He says it's written in a TSB)
He says that the in-tank pumps provides adequate rate to feed the injection pump. Claims he has seen one local xfer pump failure after the DC in-tank modifications have been made. Has anyone read the TSB?

????
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by M0J0
P-Kid, Not trying to hijack your thread. I had mine done to.

The dealer replaced my stock LP with a tank mounted pump last Friday. After they ran a VP volume test (and failed), my truck is still there to have the VP replaced Tuesday (both under warranty with 90k miles)

I'm reading on different boards that this may not be the best preventive fix for the LPs by moving them to the tank, But, not much choice if using dealer and DC warranty......

Does anyone use a LP in the "old" oem location (where the dealer now puts a block) in tandem with the dealer relocated tank pump???
I have put the in tank pump and installed the regular lift pump in its stock location powered both with the same relay.It works really well,25psi at idle, you usually cant pull it down below 20psi at WOT.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the response! I'm planning now.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting topic. I went to replace my dads lift pump in his 99 2500 CTD and the dealer had the kit for 500 bux plus labor to install it in the tank.

I called up a cummins shop in town and found the original for 185 including tax and installed it myself in the stock location.

I hope I made the right decision!!