24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Cummins Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Cummins Owner

I am new to the Cummins ring here. I just purchased a 99 Dodge 2500 w134k on it. What a difference over my previous truck(Chevy w/454). Don't know why I did not do it years ago. Now I am looking for some suggestions on improvements for power and MPG's. I tow a 8000lb trailer with this truck. The big thing I am looking for is the MPG's. Also is the any weak links I should be addressing. I have read many complaints about the weak lift pump and is an complete Fass or Airdog the way to go on that or just simply replacing the pump with a better aftermarket pump good enough? Were most of the problems related to the VP44 have to do with that lift pump or were there problems with the VP44 too? The other thing is the wonder on the road. The ball joints are good, but it probably needs a track bar. Any suggestions on how to tighten up the front end? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel gauge first !
the early yrs for VP where known to fail quick(so I've read) the latest rebuild have updates and seem to fair better
for a performance chip thats an improvement over stock an edge EZ is nice and you can tow with it, and it improves mileage as well. but once bitten by the power bug, its addictive. my personal choice is Edge Juice/attitude, extra hp at the push of a button and you can set alerts to protect your engine, and it has built in gauges, so it makes for a very clean instal.
for a track bar upgrade there are many I'm waiting for mine to get here (ordered friday) its from Solid Steel industries it basically is a bracket that allows you to use the 3rd gen track bar. I've put 4trackbars on my truck in the last yr and I'm tired of it so hopefully this is the last time I gotta do it.
I have an Airdog (lifetime warranty) and I'm happy with it. the stock pumps are junk and dont last, again there are many different choices for an Aftermarket pump,
Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome the thr DTR!

Get some gauges first... fuel pressure, EGT's and Tranny Temp if an Automatic. (Ah, Nick types faster than do I)

Lift pumps are a problem. VP-44 will go out sometimes. FASS or A.D. are both great. Possibly overkill unless going for say 500 hp., but trouble free for 300,000+ miles, so may be not.

By far best initial power improver is the Smarty, and some good quality injectors, IMO.

RJ
Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the truck! Go to the User Control Panel at the upper left of the page and you can fill out your signature with the year, model, transmission etc. All great recommendations. I went through a few LP's (and a VP) before I got the Walbro pump set up. Well worth it.