24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

need some technical advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some technical advice

I have a 24 v cummins that has given me intermittent starting and stalling problems since January.It was taken back to dealer for repair several times only to tell me that was no cause found .Then the third time they did finally replace the transfer pump under the cummins warranty after i was stranded by the truck stalling .Since then i still have some problems starting and and occasional stalling .Justy recently it died shortly after cranking had it towed back to dealer, latest repair invoice states that repaired connection at joint connector at PDC and retest.The truck still fails to crank up occasionaly and cuts off when i hit a hole or bumb in the road . I think its something electrical . please need some HELP
Old 06-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to fill in your sig so we will know what truck you have.

If it'a a 98.5 to 02, it sounds like it may be the injector pump. Take it to another dealer and let them check it out. Ask around and see if anyone knows of a dealer with a good diesel mechanic. This is a fairly expensive repair, and it seems some dealers balk at fixing it right off.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Any codes?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:05 PM

I have no codes for this .I have allways taken the truck back to dealer for repairs.It is a 2001 well maintained truck .I have paid several hefty reapair bills for which i hope that they were needed.Should i go directly to Chyrsler with this issue that i just need it repaired and im tired of the run around.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Key on,off,on,off,on (not started, just in "on" position).
If you get P0216 on the odometer it's the injection pump. How many miles on the truck?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:45 PM

It has 46,000 miles ,thats not many for a Diesel!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
P.J
Banned

You have a 5 yr./100,000 mile Cummins warranty.
46K? Your truck is barley broken in (seriously). The problems when hitting a bump would make me think electrical too though.
Try pulling the codes, it takes all of two minutes (take a scrap of paper with you).

Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:45 PM

Did the codes no PO216 still scracthing my head over this one.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 PM

Did the codes no PO216 still scracthing my head over this one.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:39 PM

Could be a really bad air leak on the fuel system? Hit a bump, rattle the fuel lines on the suction side of the pump? Hard starts until the air moves on through. Wonder what the fuel pressure is doing? Need a pressure guage...even if only temporary...or stick one in permanently...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 PM

Good idea ,However when it doesnt crank up i never hear the transfer pump kick in though.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:22 PM

Ok, just for $hit's and giggles, try swapping the relay in the electrical center under the hood...swap it whith any other relay in the box...if you are standing on the driver's fender under the hood, pull the cover and the fuel system relay should be the black relay on the far bottom left...you can swap it with the one directly to the right...that one should be the horn or something uncritical...it's a cheap check...maybe the relay's crapped or loose...maybe the wiring in between...or I've heard of new pumps being put in that were also crap...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:36 PM

yeah that sounds very possible being a relay or bad new pump i ll look in those areas ,But why did the dealer not go the extra effort to fix this problem after all iv spent good money with them .Well when u want something done right i guess u got to do it yourself .
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 AM
P.J
Banned

What other money was spent at the dealer? I hope not on the engine?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:47 AM

when i had a simular problem on my truck the suction line that goes back to the fule tank the little plastic connector had a crack in it and when the suspension flexed and pulled on the lin eit made the crack get bigger and bigger untill the truck would randomly stall out and take 5-10 mins to flush the air out of the line to get it running... ran into it after noticing a line of fluid on the side of the tank when chaning the rear diff oil.....

Quick Reply: need some technical advice