24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need a NEW vp44

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need a NEW vp44

Any suggestions as to which vp44 i should get based on price and value and how long it might last. Also how much of a chore is it really to change one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and i changed a pump on a 91 cummins but they dont have as many electrical things goin on.. Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Just make sure you get one that was overhauled by a certified Bosch service center. Those are the ones that have the necessary flow bench to do overhauls right.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Actually, the VP and the VE are very similar in difficulty to change, just make sure you get a good one and make sure you have the right numbered key installed the right way.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Don't stress it, it only has one plug and it only goes one way.

As for quality of rebuild...how much is your time worth? Buy a Scheid or Blue Chip and know you have a hi quality rebuild.

Save a few bucks and be prepared for a stranding, tow and wasted weekend...
Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
A remanufactured stock VP will offer the best reliability in relation to power output. The few ponies you gain from something like a Hotrod VP are not worth the reliability you give up.

But assuring that the VP you purchase has all the most current upgrades and a new PSG computer with the appropriate code numbers is most important. There is a list floating around of the most reputable vendors. Scheid, Bluechip (tends to be the most expensive), and Industrial Injection are a few off the top of my mind. I'd have to look for the list if you're interested.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
The list:

Midwest Fuel injection
Industrial Injection
O-F-I (Oregon Fuel Injection)
Jasper Engines
Diesel Fuel Injection Rebuild Center
Central Motive Power
ProDiesel
Diesel Forward (Diesel Injection Service)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM

As far as instructions, when I did mine the first time, someone here suggested I looked up "Diesel Dan'' he has a very good step by step video.

They area actually easy to change, no special tools required, depending on how good you are with a wrench it can take 60 to 90 minutes.

As for the pump vendor, I have tried Pensacola Diesel and Blue Chip.
Blue Chip has a better pump and outstanding customer service.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need the gear puller. I used a old steering wheel puller.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
And another little trick is, you can use that same gear puller as a "pusher" to shove the VP out of its spot since its kinda tight.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 AM

If you buy from Blue Chip, he will lend you a gear puller
Old 04-04-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselVeins
Any suggestions as to which vp44 i should get based on price and value and how long it might last. Also how much of a chore is it really to change one. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and i changed a pump on a 91 cummins but they dont have as many electrical things goin on.. Thanks

I have just pulled the VP-44 out of my Truck, a stubby 3/4" open end at least for the #6 hard plumbed pump line, will minimize the pain, couple of socket extensions for getting to the nuts from the rear of the pump, (good excuse to give to the ol' lady for another new tool or two??) any way, the holes in the gear are 8mm, jerryrigged a puller to push out the shaft/pump from the gear, this was my first so it took me 2 hours, most of the time is spent getting the air horn, wires, cables, throttle/APPS, fuel lines out of the way.

I took my pump out prior to ordering a rebuild, might sound bassackwards but since most of the reputable places will comp you the core charge for 30 days, I figured that if the pump is out, when I get my new 44 I can send the old one right back,, (monsoon season in SE GA is ramping up) and so far blue chip seems the only one who gives you return shipping label, other companies might, I dont know for fact. Bottom line is that it was not to hard to accomplish, You tube helped out.

Besides the gaskets, I think this would also be a good time to replace the camshaft position doohickey sensor, since it is right behind the pump?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:43 PM

When you receive the new pump, put the two side by side and swap the rear mounting bracket to the new pump, and re-install the 8 plastic plugs/caps from the new to the old to keep things tidy when you ship the old pump back.

The most important thing is to keep the key in the new shaft, don't let it fall out. If it does, remember it is a timed key, and has a specific direction and must be installed that way.

Lastly, carefully align the shaft into the cam gear. I use a small mirror and magnifying glass .. and with your third hand a flashlight. The key can be squashed if installed offset to the slot in the gear. Ask me how I know!