24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help on swapping engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if all else fails bring it to cummins for a reflash.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made this psot earlier, but seems to have went to never-never land.

Adjusted the throttle valve cable and it fixed the hesitant shifting problem.

New problem: Engine cranks and starts fine. Will rev to near redline in park or neutral. Put trans in any other gear and engine stalls at about 1950 RPM.
If you go easy on the throttle the transmission shifts into all gear at the right speed and into overdrive okay. Continue holding steady pressure on the accelerator and speed tops out at about 68 MPH with engine RPM at 1950, at this point the engine temporarily stalls and speed drops to about 62 MPH and RPM drops about 100 RPM. Then it accelerates back to 68MPH then repeats the cycle. If you use the kickdown, the engine stall at about 1950-2000RPM and MPH starts to drop off as long as you hold the accelerator all the way down. If you start in any gear and press the accelerator all the way down the RPM jumps to about 1950 and the truck never picks up enough speed to change gears.

Found a couple of loose clamps on both sides of the intercooler. Tightened those and checked all others, changed nothing.

Should add that I put in a new fuel filter, and reoiled the AMSOIL air filter. Thought I may have gotten too much oil on the airfilter so tried running the truck without an airfilter. No change.
Have tried to physically move the waste gate actuator but can't move it (another thread said it would be difficult to move by hand), will try with regualted compressed air tomorrow.

Don't know if the ECM came from a manual or auto trans. Will check part # with local Dodge dealer to see if there is a difference. If I have the wrong one maybe the salvage yard will rustle up the correct one.

Have no codes that an OBDII reader will pick up.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Gary
Old 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Now after the previous post the old one is showing up. Sorry for the duplication.

Gary
Old 12-29-2007, 06:08 PM

I ave been tld that the ecm & pcm need to be the same.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:49 PM

If I go to the '02 PCM what other problems may I be creating such as instrumentation?
I do appreciate all the advice and I will pursue all angles and let this forum know what works out. Tomorrow, I am consulting my cousin who was a mechanic at the local Dodge dealership for 38 years, but he was their gasoline man. Can't remember when he retired, I know it was after I bought the '99 when new, but don't know if he was there through the '02 years.
Worth a try. Then I can always take it to the dealer, just kinda got the butt at anything doing with Chrysler motors at this time.

Gary