24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help on swapping engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on swapping engines

need some help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a '99 with a cracked 53 block - 88K. Dodge blew me off. Cummins made me thoffer of a free block with bearings and rings but had to be installed by Cummins mechanic at by cost or would send me $1000 and let me select an engine. I selected the $1000 option and should receive their check by the 1st.
Found and 02 engine with 76K for $3000. Engine is a VIN "6" like mine. Switched the engines using the starter, turbo, ECM module,A/C compressor and fuel injection pump from the 99 engine. After priming engine started right up. Noticed had no oil pressure, but the check guages light went out. Did some checking and determined oil pump was working. Cranked again still no oil pressure, nor engine temp guage movement. Engine initially would be idling a little rough, but after 5-6 seconds engine would smooth out, but the tach would drop to zero. Use OBDII and determined that no signal was picked up from the Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. Checked with Chrysler dealer and was informed the '02 blocks do not have a CKP sensor and they were surprised the engine cranked and ran with the '99 ECM and '02 block.
Asked some other folks about this and they told me I would have to use the wiring harness and sensors from the 99 as that is what the ECM was expecting. Switched wiring harness, oil pressure guage, MAP sensor, fuel filter canister with its heater and moved the CKP from the 99 to the '02 block ( was not easy with engine in chassis.)
Thought I was ready to go. Tried to prime system but lift pump is not running.
Can anyone offer any valid advice on what else I need to do?
I previously posted this under the cracked 53 block thread but have had no responses. maybe this is a better approach.
Thanks,
Gary
Old 12-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
u had responses........use an ecm from an 02 it will fix all probs. how did u move your ckp to the 02 block, cauz the 02 has no hole for ckp , no tone ring for ckp. tone rings can break, or come loose and fall off, 1 reason why theyve done away with them.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks for reply, sorry if I missed the others. The 02 block had a CKP hole but it was plugged with a plastic plug with o-ring. I questioned if the '02 crank had a tone ring on it as I didn't see the need if there was no CKP sesnor to read it. I called the local Dodge dealer and the parts manager looked up the cranks and verified they were different, but they told me they showed a part number for a tone ring for both blocks. I will try to get my hands on an '02 ECM to test it. May well answer my problems. Will I have to put the 02 oil pressure switch, MAp and '02 wiring hraness back on the block.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 12-23-2007, 11:39 PM

Do you mind if I ask what Cummins was going to charge to do the replacement for you???
Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 AM

I could never get a return phone call from the B'ham Cummins shop with a quote and could never get through to the number I was given in Nashville. When I found an '02 engine with 76K practically in my backyard for $3000 and I got to keep my core, I went for that option. Without getting to keep the core I would have went for the Cummins block option. Sorry I can't directly answer you question

Gary
Old 12-25-2007, 10:06 PM

from years of reading here i will save u some searching, an 02 ecm will fix your probs. a 99 ecm is looking for a ckp reading that doesnt exhist on an 02 motor. ive read a few post over the years and specifically kept that info in the back of my mind cauz i gotta 99 with a 53 block and was worried about having to do what u did. do a search on 53 blocks and u will find a few who have replaced theirs with newer motors and have had the same prob u have with the ckp their fix was ecm from 01.5-up.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&highlight=ckp
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Went up this morning to where I bought the '02 engine to check on getting the 02 ECM. They were out but are ordering me one from a another salvage dealer. Price $75 exchange for my '99 ECM or $150 straight purchase(I thought that was a great price since I see new ones at $1500. I decided on the straight purchase as I may try to fix my cracked block and then find a body and put it in for a farm truck. Will let you know how it goes. Now I have go back and switch the wirinh harness again (have already switched the sensors back to the '02.
BTW the salvage dealer I have been dealing with is Barber Auto Parts in Ardmore, Alabama. They have been very up front and helpful and convenient since they are bout 5 miles from me. They run a store front and a ebay store. Everything is kept inside in a controlled environment. I have no affiliation with them except purchasing the '02 engine.

again thanks for all info.

Gary
Old 12-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Change the wiring harness back to the '02 version and as I was finishing the salvage yard called and said the ECM was in. Picked it up, put it on installed starter and fuel filter system, bleed fuel and it started after a short period of cranking over. mini14 thanks for you timely advice. You were dead on. Now I have a fuel leak around the rear of the lift pump, the one thing I have removed from the engine. Will tackle it tomorrow when I have more light.

Gary
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Let me get this straight.You used your 99 harness,the 02 ecm & just left the wire for the crank sensor unplugged & everything works?

Kurt
Old 12-28-2007, 03:48 AM

No, I had to put the 02 wiring harness along with the 02 MAP and oil pressure sending units back on the 02 engine. Only things used from the 99 engine were the turbo, injector pump, alternator and a/c compressor.

Gary
Old 12-28-2007, 07:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to hear your back up and running. For all of us w/the #53 and for future ref. what did the swap end up costing you?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM

Not totally up and running.
Found the fuel leak (the rubber line going to the banjo bolt on the output side of the lift pump was leaking) and repaired. Took for test drive. Started out fine but when shifted from 1st to 2nd (this is an automatic) the trans delayed a few seconds like it was think what it needed to do. It did this at evey gear change. Once in overdrive the truck was running fine put if I pushed the accelerator down as in passing gear again a long pause before shifting. Without pushing down to passing gear if you press the accelerator there is no pickup, almost like a gasoline fluiding. Started out in each gear and all were fine except when it came time to change. Trans fluid is proper level. Checked the bell crank connecting the throttle cable and the throttle cable valve that sends signals to Trans. Appears they move in unison. Don't know much about this. Any ideas what may be the problem?

How much did the exchange cost?

'02 engine w/76K no injector pump, no turbo, no alternator, no a/c compressor - $3000 - I kept my core.
rear oil seal, oil pan gasket, fly wheel bolts, various o-rings and crush washers, heater hoses - $236
new serpentine belt, 2 - radiator hoses, fuel filter - $65
replacement ECM for '02 (used) - $150
3 gal anti-freeze - $30 (I had just had the system flushed and coolant replaced when trying to find the leak)

So about $3500 of which Cummins reimbursed $1000. Honestly, the belts and hoses need replacing anyway so you could take off about $100 for this.

1 week of swearing and skinning knuckles.

Finding out Chrysler does not care - priceless. They have lost a loyal customer who has bought 3 new trucks and two cars not to mention influencing my daughter to buy a Dodge with a Cummins.

Hoping Toyota will be inporting a diesel truck when I decide to buy another. Hope Dodge is reading this. At least I found that Cummins is a stand up company.

Gary

Gary
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 PM

I did the same -- I was quoted around 45 hours at $109 per hour for the swap but not a firm commitment at that.

I got a non-53 block from another 99 that had burned up for $1500. The burn was only accessories and melted the valve cover a bit -- plastic parts etc. Took Cummins $1000 offer. They are people of their word even if Dodge isn't. I felt their offer was fair considering that I had 148k on mine but it had been cracked for a long time. The crack was 17 inches long and using 30 gallons of water per day when I pulled it. I bought a Lock-n-stitch kit -- still have it - but didn't use it as Cummins didn't think it would hold in the long run. I have read of 2 failures on Lock-n-stitch so the block change was the best choice for me.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:22 AM

u might try a pcm from the 02 it should cure your tranny probs. make sure the 02 ecm is from an auto tranny too.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:12 PM

adjusted the throttle valve cable, it resolved the poor shifting. Now that problems over have another issue that was affecting the shifting.

Engine cranks and runs fine. Will rev towards redline in park or neutral. Once engine is in gear, anygear, engine will not rev past 1950 RPM. If you take off normal without high reving the engine it will shift normal through all gears and overdrive. As speed builds to about 68MPH and RPM approaches 2000, you can feel the engine stall and will bump RPM back 50-100 RPM and speed drops to about 62 MPH, then it repeats this cycle. If you try to use kick down again seems as if engine stalls and will not accelerate above 2000 RPM.

If taking off in low gear and press accelerator to floor engine stalls at 1950 RPM and never picks up enough speed to shift into second.
Have checked all wiring harness connectors, all seems fine.
Seems as if waste gate on turbos may be stuck open although it was working fine on the old engine. Tried to move actuator level with hand and could not move it. Going to try tomorrow with compressed air and a regualtor.

On issue of ECM, not sure if the 02 ECM came from a manual or auto trans.
Didn't know if these ECM's were different. Could try to get the salvage yard to round up one from an auto if I determine the one I got is from manual. Will check part number with local dealer.
Thanks,
Gary

Quick Reply: Need help on swapping engines