24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help passing CA SMOG!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help passing CA SMOG!

Hi folks. So I Need to pass smog before the end of January before I can register my truck. But unfortunately for me I threw away my stock air filter and housing. Right now I have a 6 inch amsoil cone BHAF which I don't believe any smog station will pass. My question is, would anybody be willing to let me borrow theirs to get through the inspection. I'd be very grateful and will promptly return. You can PM me or email Jhobbselectric@gmail.com
Old 12-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the right smog shop that knows the law will pass it with that filter. find a good shop and ask them it took me a couple tries but I finally found a good shop some shops will call you on the missing puke bottle too.
also my mach 1.6s would not pass with out setting my smarty on half power
Old 12-25-2011, 05:31 PM

mine just passed last month. I have BHAF no puke bottle. keep looking for a good shop.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by klcammie
mine just passed last month. I have BHAF no puke bottle. keep looking for a good shop.
I agree. As long as you pass the snap test you should be OK.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
It shouldn't be long before this stupid law is amended because there is WAY to many shops who have no clue what they're doing, know whats required per year truck, and to add insult to it all, the law leaves most discretion to the shop tech. Great idea legislation.....
Old 12-26-2011, 07:35 PM

Passed mine with no problem with a K&N cone filter. Anybody gives you trouble down there, bring it to Steve Martin in Burney.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM

I understand that there's a guy in Red Bluff too.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:29 PM

Well I found a shop that didn't hassle me about the air filter. But he wasn't sure about my trailer brake controller under the dash, the commander gauges, or the wire i had running across the engine compartment for the transmission manual lockup switch i installed. I had to explain everything to him and how it worked. He was nervous about everything. I can't blame the guy, if the state finds him negligent for passing a polluter they can fine him with the minimum fines starting at $1000 all for a smog check that he profits $20 on. He almost failed me cause the truck blew out some smoke, luckily it cleared within 3 seconds. This law is so stupid and pointless. How can you pass smog laws on trucks that just smoke all the time, and more as they get older?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by chainzaw
Well I found a shop that didn't hassle me about the air filter. But he wasn't sure about my trailer brake controller under the dash, the commander gauges, or the wire i had running across the engine compartment for the transmission manual lockup switch i installed. I had to explain everything to him and how it worked. He was nervous about everything. I can't blame the guy, if the state finds him negligent for passing a polluter they can fine him with the minimum fines starting at $1000 all for a smog check that he profits $20 on. He almost failed me cause the truck blew out some smoke, luckily it cleared within 3 seconds. This law is so stupid and pointless. How can you pass smog laws on trucks that just smoke all the time, and more as they get older?
Wrong..........The real reason the law is stupid and pointless is because the law is requiring trucks to go through, and pay, for a smog inspection when the truck model was NEVER equipped with ANY smog emission components. That makes ZERO sense. Isn't this the very reason older pre-smog vehicles are exempt?