24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help with ? on LP for 00 2500 4x4 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with ? on LP for 00 2500 4x4 CTD

Just bought a used 00 2500 CC 4x4 5sp, 65k, appears to have a couple of problems. Has the rear ABS/Brake light issue I've read about, but more concerning is, appears to have dead pedal issue as well. After reading about the LP/IP problems, where should I go from here? I did purchase a warranty with the truck, and I have read the TSB re: recall on the LP. I do not have a gauge to check the pressure. so should I just run it over to the local dlr, and have them check? Would Dodge fix it under the "recall" on the lp? Or should I hope that my warranty will fix it?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

Steve
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

For the price of 1 hour of dealer labor you can buy a fuel pressure checking kit at your local auto parts store...just don't tell the counterjerk it's for a diesel, it freaks some out. Here's a pic:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=2

On the drivers side of the motor near the front is the Injector Pump(VP44). On the side of the VP44 is a port with a black cap screwed on...that's the checking point called a Schrader Valve and where you need to screw on the test guage fitting on to. Here's a pic:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=2

Now start the engine and see what the gauge says & we'll discuss it.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by blackenedman
Just bought a used 00 2500 CC 4x4 5sp, 65k, appears to have a couple of problems. Has the rear ABS/Brake light issue I've read about, but more concerning is, appears to have dead pedal issue as well. After reading about the LP/IP problems, where should I go from here? I did purchase a warranty with the truck, and I have read the TSB re: recall on the LP. I do not have a gauge to check the pressure. so should I just run it over to the local dlr, and have them check? Would Dodge fix it under the "recall" on the lp? Or should I hope that my warranty will fix it?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

Steve

What Recall would that be???
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 PM

Recall?

I was on the phone yesterday with Diamler Chrysler in regards to to see if my truck is still under warranty, due to the fact I will soone be the proud new owner of a VP-44. That is the first question I asked was there a recall on the junk IP's/LP's? He told me there wasnt. BUT, like me, get them to run your VIN and if u r lucky like me, your powertrain warrenty will still be good and the VP will be covered under warranty!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 PM

There is no recall on lift pumps for pickups - never has been and never will be.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Forgot to mention in earlier post, I did the code check with key on/off, got code 1693.

The "recall" (that isnt really a "recall") that I was referring to is the Daimler Chrysler “Customer Satisfaction Notification No. 878”. This notice directs replacement of the lift pumps in 10,000 2000 and 2001 Dodge pickups. Mine just happens to fall into this category, being 2000, CTD, made in Saltillo.

Not to mention I am suffering from the "dead pedal" syndrome.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can replace the lift pump for you 10 times, it's not going to solve a dead pedal.

Sorry Dude.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:21 PM

You dont want the new dodge lift pump - its an intank pump and its no good anyway. Scan the truck, I suspect you have another code stored - the key on/off trick only works sometimes.

Looks like you need some parts.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Thanks for all the quick help. As I said, I just got the truck, so I'm learning, and I appreciate the assistance. I ran out, got the pressure gauge, will wait for daylight to check it out. Are there other issues, besides fuel starvation that can cause dead pedal?

Dr Evil, you think I need to just upgrade to aftermarket lp/ip over dodge/cummins parts?

Scan? With OBDII?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 AM

Ok, so gauge shows 12psi at the vp44. Thoughts on this?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 AM
Registered

If you just bought the truck and have the dead pedal. TAKE IT BACK, let them fix it. The warranty that you bought will be put to good use, It will be $2000 - $3000 they will put you lp in the tank if it's at the dealer
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 AM

If the pressure was 12 psi at idle, that sounds ok but it might still be bad. The true test is to test it under wide open throttle. If it drops below 8 psi you need a new lp. You could also still have a bad ip.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:14 AM

I just joined this board this week, but have been on the TDR for a couple of years. I had 14.7 idle, and 12 at 2500 RPM with the dead pedal issue as well. Well, it turns out that even thought the LP was putting out a good presure, the volume was lacking. I am now the owner of a new VP and LP installed by the Cummins shop in Bristol, PA.
It seems to be a volume issue according to the shop. I also just purchased the LP relocation kit from Vulcan Performance which will relocate the LP to the frame rail and provide 1/2" fuleline to the VP. Currently the line from the filter to the VP is the stock 1/4" and is most likely the cause of the low supply to the VP. As I understand it, the VP uses the fuel as a coolant and lubrication.
Pump location also seems to be an issue as well. Having the pump on the motor requires the pump to "suck" further than it "pumps." Keeping the pump closer to the tank requires less "sucking" and more "pumping", which is afterall what a pump does. Other wise it would be called a "suck" and not a pump.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 AM

I just got my truck back from the dealer, had a dodge vp-44 installed INtank and a new aftermarket ip. The Dodge dealer told me that the best way to go is to install the vp-44 in the tank. My new pumps come with a 12k/12 month warranty. I wanted them to install a fuel pressure gaugue, but they acted like they didnt know how to do it. They did say its a must to have one, so I am going to a different dealer to have one installed. I also had the 1693 code when all this happened but its just a companion code. You better pray that its under warranty or have a box of tissues nearby, because its going to hurt when you find out how much its going to cost.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Chapter President

I think you're a little confused. The new fuel pumps go in the tank. The VP44 is the injector pump on the side of the engine.

I sure hope the dealer is not confused!

Quick Reply: Need help with ? on LP for 00 2500 4x4 CTD