24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need assistance-'99 2500

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A clamped wastegate will net a high boost. Lower EGT should follow as the HX35 doesn't get out of it's MAP until after 35 lbs of boost.

It's been almost 5 years since I drove my truck in stock form. If I remember correctly it was pretty sad. I don't think 18-20 two psi is abnormal for a stock truck. The 99 has a 215 motor which is about 190hp to the wheels, not a whole lot of power in stock form. The beauty of the Cummins in a Dodge was it was so detuned that a couple of inexpensive things can be done to get some decent power.

I think you're doing the right thing by ruling out any problems before adding any type of performance box.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well....the truck goes back to the shop tomorrow. Seems after installing the VP44..they DID NOT test drive the truck to see if it was still experiencing the no power under load problem. So they are going to drive it w/ the scanner on it. They seem to think the sensors are showing it doing 100mph when it actually going 60mph.

Is the statement true that you can not adjust timing on the '99 and ups? Its all computer controlled, from what I am told.

The reason I ask...this is what it feels like...the timing is off.....likes it pulling a trailer when the trailer isnt there. If I try to break the tires going around a corner.....it wont do it.

I'm starting to hate this truck.............
Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J.KUNZE
Well....the truck goes back to the shop tomorrow. Seems after installing the VP44..they DID NOT test drive the truck to see if it was still experiencing the no power under load problem. So they are going to drive it w/ the scanner on it. They seem to think the sensors are showing it doing 100mph when it actually going 60mph.

Is the statement true that you can not adjust timing on the '99 and ups? Its all computer controlled, from what I am told.

The reason I ask...this is what it feels like...the timing is off.....likes it pulling a trailer when the trailer isnt there. If I try to break the tires going around a corner.....it wont do it.

I'm starting to hate this truck.............
what their telling you on the timing is true
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 AM

well...got the truck back from the shop....no codes...no sensor problems....just a huge exhaust leak on #6. Seems the manifold bolt vibrated loose.....and fell out.

This was replaced and I was told that can cause the lack of power. I'll be hooking up the boat today and checking it.

Anyone have this happen before? Anyone even heard of an exhaust leak causing lack of power?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by J.KUNZE
Anyone even heard of an exhaust leak causing lack of power?

Thanks in advance.

Of coarse it will. The exhaust that is leaking isn't going thru your turbo turbine where is should be. That fix should help your power.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 PM

J,

Had the same thing happen to me... my exhaust manifold came loose on # 6 and she drove like a dog. Put some new bolt in her, ran like a champ! Mine cummins is the completely stock 245hp and she never has a problem pullin my boat to Canyon Lake! Catch anything while you were down there?? lol!

Stark
Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Interesting enough.....it was responsible for the lack of power without the trailer hooked up...I havent had time to latch on for a pull.

With that said......I hardly have to touch the pedal to maintain speed w/ out load. BIG difference based on ***-dyno.

Additional good news is that my fuel milage went from 10-12 (in town=short distances and allot of stop & go) to 16mpg. I'll be doing a full tank evaluation starting this evening.

I will post one last time regarding the power issue when I get the trailer hooked up.

Thanks to all for your insight and opinions.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Stark,
Only thing I caught was some waves. Wakeboarding and wake surfing was the agenda on the "haul **** after work and beat the traffic on 281/ Evans rd" trip.
"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine. " Jeff Spicoli: Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Funny how much difference that leak made. Unimaginable.