24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need assistance-'99 2500

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need assistance-'99 2500

Hello all,
New subscriber and new dodge owner. I have been searching and reading for three days...no luck...please help.

I recently bought a 1999 2500, 153k miles, auto, 3.54 gears, 4x4, shortbed x-cab, 265 tires, no lift, no mods, Seafoam or Stayndene (sp?) in every tank.

Truck had a hard start issue. Only code was temp sensor. Changed that. Problem solved. Next day...problem came back. Back to shop. They say its the IP...but before they will change it out....go get computer reflashed at Dodge dealer. Did the reflash. Problem solved....no hard starts...4 weeks now.

Load a measly 3-4k load (boat and trailer) and drive to Lake LBJ (north of San Antonio, Texas). Hills outside Blanco are murder on this truck.......70 down hill to 45-50 uphill.

Back to diesel shop. No codes but they tell me its the IP.

I buy a set of guages instead..... to monitor vitals prior to giving away $$$ for unproved IP issue...plus I can always use them right?:
Pyro/ EGT (pre-turbo)
Boost PSI
Fuel PSI (top of filter assembly)
Tranny temp

I change the fuel filter (clean)...check the air filter (clean) Go pull trailer again. Here is what I recorded (92-96^ air temp):
60-70mph - flat to mild up-grade
EGT - 900-1100^ (averages 1000)
Boost - 10-16 (never exceeds 18 even under WOT)
Fuel PSI - 11-12 (idle 14-15) Under WOT never went below 9psi
Tranny Temp - 160-170^

65-70mph - mild up-grade (flat roads to 100yrd pulls going over roads<overpasses/ bridges>)
EGT - 1100-1150^
Boost - 10-16 (never exceeds 18 even under WOT)
Fuel PSI - 10-12 never went below 9psi
Tranny Temp - 160-170^

I am assuming valves needs to be checked/set as I bought this vehicle used.

Other than that.......I am stumpped on why this is a such a dog. Two local diesel shops have no idea for sure. Tranny is not unlocking / locking....No excessive heat from slipping tranny.....no nothing.

I read the dead pedal trhread...but it never falls on its **** like description(falls dead-let off-comes back)...it just slows to a crawl up hills...EGT's rising...finally downshifts...EGT climbs to 1150...tranny shift down...rpms go to 22-2500....and it slowely picks back up...until I have to let off in fear of pistons melying down from 1200 degree EGT's. *** is going on?

I had a 95 Ford PSD (97 7.3 w 100K miles), 5 spd, 4.10's......and it makes this truck feel like a turd. I know it shouldnt be this way. That is the reason I bought a dodge this time. I am in fear of getting blown away by a Yugo.......

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
J.Kunze - San Antonio, Texas
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An injection pump can be going south without throwing codes. Lack of power and poor fuel economy are symptoms.

With that said, 18 psi max boost is about right for a stock truck. Your fuel pressure looks good.

Back when I suspected IP problems, Don M suggested the timing solenoid in the pump might be the problem.

Its as typical problem with the VP44 when theya re getting tired. The newer pumps use a better material pressed into the pump housing to help avoid the trouble. This would not have anything to do with the starting or idle though.

Low Dyno numbers also indicate a pump problem. Either pressure loss through wear, timing solenoid or a combo of both.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:48 AM

I think exhaust temp is too high, I never reached 800deg with stock exhaust unless I tow and slightly uphill, and this with 4 trucks, 12v and 24v.
Also boost is a little low, check intercooler boots, stock is 20psi but will go much higher for few seconds then wastegate opens.

I would try to clamp wategate vacuum hose shut, and take exhaust off, even a straight pipe will work better.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Registered

Valv, are you pre turbo or post? Dad runs the same mods as you, and he hits 1250-1300 per turbo all the time.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM

I checked the intercooler boots - all look to be in excellent shape. I have made a "compression boot" to attach to the inlet of the turbo, and pressurize with shop air. That way I can listen for leaks w/o motor running.

Forgot to mention it has a straight pipe.

Valv - 800^ EGT's is what I am seeing under idle comming down the hill at 60mph. Is your pyro in the exhaust manifold or post turbo?

Will bad IP cause high EGT's?

is there any common spec. information listed? Everyone I talk to has a different perspective on common EGT 's as well as max temps.....fuel pressures, etc.

Thanks all for your insight and comments.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:57 AM

I can not say I know much about 24v trucks , but 800 * under those conditions are out there , temp is fuel burning , so maybe too much fuel , the pressure looks good , so maybe the injectors are dumping fuel , electronics would be ??? , controlling fuel , or in your case , not .
Old 09-17-2007, 10:20 PM

OK...UPDATE....

I bit the bullet and replaced the VP44 and adjusted the valves.....only change is WORSE mpg's!!!!!

I pressure tested the boost with shop air and I'm good there.

I would assume with 156k thetranny needs to be services since I bought this truck used...so I'm doing that this weekend.

But I pulled the same bouat up the same hill with teh new VP44 and its still a dog. If I am going 70mph.....it pulls it no problem. If I am at 60-65 mph in OD...and make even a small hill (over pass).....it wont throttle through it w/o slowing down to 50-55mph.

PLease help before I drive it off into a lake.

Also, is it normal for boost to be non existent when taking off...until I get to 17-1800 rpm? It comes on and will tag at about 18psi.....never broke 20psi.

Could the waste gate be opening? Or maybe the computer de-fueling for some reason? Can this be checked.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a flash for the ECM back in the day for a complaint of "lack of power while towing". They reduced the fueling in OD/Lockup to help save the trans....only they overdid it. The flash restores the fueling to the same as 3rd/lockup.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 AM

Where are you located? Sounds like you need to take it to a real Diesel shop, if you are in the Southern, IN region I can recommend a good one.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 AM

I would go to a Cummins shop.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm in San Antonio, Texas.

There is a cummins dealer close......just scared me off when you tell them whats its doing and they respond back by saying, "Bring it in. We'll start the diagnostics....at $125hr."......while I'm watching a bunch of guys standing around talking.

I dont mind paying for a service...but I dont want to be in it for $1,000.00 and them tell me its a freakin $200.00 sensor. I already bit it for $1,800.00 on the VP44
Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 PM

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time.
The Cummins shop in Odessa ran some tests when I noticed mine was running rough when pushing on the brake at a stop light - cost me $160 for them to tell me everything was alright, at least it wasn't the VP going out.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:08 PM

If I understand correctly, your truck is basically stock according to your sig?

I used to own a 92 that was pumped up pretty good (in my sig). I just bought a 98 24 valve 5 speed. Empty, the truck felt ok but it sure didn't pull like my 92 did. I immeadiatly bought an Edge Juice with Attitude. Its a different truck now. I usually drive it on setting #1 with just timing added. I tow in #2. Plenty of power when I need it but when bump it back down to stock it really is a bit of a dog.

The speeds and number you posted don't seem unusual for a stock cummins with no mods.

It may be that you are expecting too much out of a stock rig . . .

Have you thought about a programmer or controller? I love my Edge. I know there are other good on the fly programmers too.

Chass
ct
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM

My 99 has 354 gears and a 5 speed it has always pulled good, I went to 275 injectors that helped out a little.
I pulled a lot of heavy trailers and never had the problems, he should be able to pull those hills without a problem.
Couple months ago I had a flatbed trailer loaded with 10,600 of metal and I know it was back there but still wasn't that bad.
I have a friend with the same year truck and automatic transmission that pulls a big fifth wheel and boat all over the country and is happy with the power.
He's got a gremlin somewhere causing problems.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM

I've thought about an "adder" since I was planning on buying the truck. My old '95 (w/ '97 7.3 PSD) had a mild BD diesel chip in it and it totally changed the truck. No more bog on take off and it was a freaking barn burner. W/ 4.11 gears.....it wasnt setting a land speed record, but it would pull a house down.

I didnt want to juice the dodge yet...not until I could get the slow dog syndrom fixed. I hate to mask a real issue with an enhancer and never get the total enhancement available.

I stopped by the local diesel shop and shot the poop with the owner/ lead mechanic for a bit. He was saying it might be in the waste gate as I described the boost under load (not getting any). For arguments sake, I took a hose clam and clamped down the rubber line from the turbo to the waste gate, constricting it. I pulled 24lbs boost under WOT! It may have been sycho-sematic, but it seemed the EGT's were slightly lower due to it spooling up faster (and farther), allowing me to get off the throttle sooner.

I'm going to go back by and get a replacement wastegate and install after I tell him what happened...see what they think.

What do you all think of that (higher boost with it clamped down)?

Quick Reply: Need assistance-'99 2500