24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Advice/Directions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice/Directions!!!

Here is the situation. I have noticed fuel leaking under the engine compartment on the drivers side lately. Then it has become hard to start (had to crank quite a while before it kicked over). Well, had the wife take it to the local Dodge Dealer and they want me to drop $1,000 for a new transfer pump and installation (they want to move it because of heat issues?). O.K. Here is my question, How much is the pump and can I put this in myself since I have access to a reasonably stocked garage? Also, does it need to be move, as the last one has lasted for 8 years/75K miles. Lastly, is this something that I should upgrade to last longer and what would you recommend I buy and from whom?

I know this is long and I apologize, but I would really like the "experts" opinion.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-19-2006, 12:05 PM

Sounds like they want to relocate the pump to the tank. I don't think Dodge dealers will replace the lift pump any other way now. Certianly not worth $1000.

Replacing the stock lift pump with a new one from Cummins will cost you less then $200 and take a few hours of your time. It's a minor PITA but not too bad. Procedure is, I'm sure, documented on this site. "Lift Pump" is the term commonly used to describe the pump.

Most people seem to think the stock lift pump is crap for one reason or another, (note that I ditched mine for the FASS) and there are a number of alternatives, but simply replacing the stock pump is the quickest and near the cheapest.

I'm assuming you have a 98.5 24V truck since you say "High Performance Chip".
Old 12-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Thanks. Yes it is a 24 valve. Since I am new to the DTC, what is a FASS and where do I get it? How much more and since you have one, do you really think it was worth the extra money?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Orcutt
Thanks. Yes it is a 24 valve. Since I am new to the DTC, what is a FASS and where do I get it? How much more and since you have one, do you really think it was worth the extra money?
FASS is a fancy lift pump/filter/air-separator that bolts to the frame back by the tank. There's a similar unit called the Air Dog. FASS is something like $600 for the kit (includes everything). Air Dog is more.

There are also a couple mechanical pumps (RASP, MITUSA) that are belt-driven from the engine. These are closer to $1000 I think.

There are kits that use other fuel pumps buy Carter, Holley, Walbro, etc. that are usually cheaper than the above.

I can't comment on the FASS. Mine has worked flawlessly for 2 years but I've read a lot of complaints. If mine dies I will probably try the MITUSA or one of the Walbro kits with the bypass back to the tank.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 PM

Hey Rick...I know your Mom and Dad! My last name is Ragains. I used to live out in their neck of the woods! I lost my first LP around 110K and the second one was dying around 118K. I had a FASS installed on my truck and so far, so good. It's very noisy tho...but...everything on my truck is noisy! Fooled around with guages on the pillar but never could get the fuel pressure to work for very long. I've got the Edge Juice w/Attitude on it now and it gave me all the guages I could ever need, plus the different power levels. It's great!

I'd sure like to hear the down side of the FASS...all I've heard is good about them.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by drumrunner

I'd sure like to hear the down side of the FASS...all I've heard is good about them.
I wish I could un-hear the downside so I wouldn't feel this compulsive need to glance at my FP gauge every 30 seconds! ;-)

I think the FASS is a decent product, just not the outlast-your-truck solution that they were made out to be originally. I've read about a number of problems with the motors and the pressure regulator springs.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:39 PM

Did you hear about the problems in this forum or in something else? I'd sure like to know more.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get the Campaign LP from your local Cummins dealer for about $68. Then get the Vulcan big line kit with the LP relocation kit and your still under $300.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question In Your Sig

Originally Posted by Rick_Orcutt

Is The truck we are talking about in your Signature? 1998 24 Valve?

You Could also replace your pump with a $70.00 campaign pump and hope for another 8 years 75k,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT I DOUBT IT,,
Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 PM

O.K. Last question (I think)

How do I locate my local Cummins parts dealer. I tried Googleing them and so far a few ads, but nothing really great. Maybe I am trying to look at the wrong thing. Is there a website that I can use to pull up all this info in one place?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Rick,

Where are you in Ca I can hook you up.

Cummins.com should give you all that info.

Rick