24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mystery switch + stock TC=???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesnt the 47re unlock automatically when the brakes are tapped? i know that with a lockup switch it will stay locked but do i just tap into that connection with the switch? and if i did that wouldnt it lock back up when i let off the brakes? i might have just confused myself. crap!!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Most of the schematics I looked at when I put mine in, were either on or off.
So when I put mine in, I modified it a little. Originally it was with a SPST switch, but you had to be sure to remember to unlock when coming to a stop.
I didn't like that, too many times on a long run in traffic, dead tired, too many things going on to have to remember to unlock the TC.
So I modified it with a latching relay off the brake pedal so that if things went wrong, it would unlock when I stopped, but lock back up when the brake was not on.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodTodd
Most of the schematics I looked at when I put mine in, were either on or off.
So when I put mine in, I modified it a little. Originally it was with a SPST switch, but you had to be sure to remember to unlock when coming to a stop.
I didn't like that, too many times on a long run in traffic, dead tired, too many things going on to have to remember to unlock the TC.
So I modified it with a latching relay off the brake pedal so that if things went wrong, it would unlock when I stopped, but lock back up when the brake was not on.
but what if you slow all the way to 1st gear and then let off the brake? wouldnt that cause damage to the stock trans
Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 AM

I got to try out the mystery switch for the first time today and it worked well except for one thing. I couldn't it to lock the TC in 2nd gear... Is there some special trick to get it to lock in second? I tried flipping the switch when I was already in 2nd and I tried shifting it into 2nd from 3rd with the TC already locked and nothing seemed to get it to lock up. I have the switch wired up with the 33 ohm resistor with no jumper.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you have to have your VB built to lock up in 2nd.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I believe you have to have your VB built to lock up in 2nd.

I understand that to be true also.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My DTT has always beeen locked in second gear.
I came down Pikes Peak at gross weight in second and could have gone the whole way, without brakes, if not for traffic. Holds beautifully!
I've just never been clear on whether it locks in 2nd because it's a DTT or if that's the way the 02 47RE was set up.

RJ
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM

that is correct. the stock valve body can not build enough pressure to hold the tranny together in 2nd gear. luckily valve bodies are only around 400 bucks and make a world of a difference. if you cant afford a torque converter i would at least get a valve body.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Awesome thanks everyone for the quick responses. Good to know everything is working right!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 AM

Sorry, but now I'm confused. "Badme" mentions above that he has a stock transmission and is able to lock the TC in 2nd and works great???
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Straight6
Sorry, but now I'm confused. "Badme" mentions above that he has a stock transmission and is able to lock the TC in 2nd and works great???
It's the valve body that controls that and according to his signature he has a shift kit in his.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 PM

i dont think a shift kit is enough to support second gear lock up. but im not a expert.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by powermad
i dont think a shift kit is enough to support second gear lock up. but im not a expert.
I think it has to do with the right holes being drilled in the right place in the separator plate. I would guess most shift kits would have those modifications.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Straight6
No. You need to read my CP. I do have a shift kit. the rest of the transmission is bone stock. I do get 2nd gear lock-up. I also would like to take this time to recommend very careful use of the mystery switch. This transmission WILL shift from a 4th gear lock-up to 1st gear. It will be very harsh and may cause severe internal damage. The only reason I can see to install a mystery switch is for engine braking. I have never been down a hill that was steep enough to need 2nd gear engine braking.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM

what wrong with hitting the switch in 2nd with a billet tranny while drag racing? dont most people use them for that as well?

Quick Reply: Mystery switch + stock TC=???