24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mystery switch + stock TC=???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery switch + stock TC=???

I have read numerous threads on the subject of the mystery switch, but the one question that seems to be some what hazy to me is whether or not a mystery switch will harm a stock tranny and TC? Or maybe its not that simple maybe there is a certain way to drive with it on or only turn the switch on when your off the accelerator or something. Just want to know what I'm getting into before I start using this thing, I'd rather not have to get a new TC or tranny for doing something stupid.

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Brad
Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 PM

I have a mystery switch and a stock converter. It works like a dream.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 PM

i ran it on a stock tranny for 2 years no problems
Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM

I just installed the switch on Saturday and took er' out for a couple runs. Granted my fueling is stock right now so it's a little slow with it on, but that'll soon change.

As long as you don't have it engaged all the time and are driving it hard I don't think you should have a problem. It's when you start beating on it hard while keeping it locked you may break input shaft.

Also, even with the switch installed and the in the off position, the tranny will run through the gears normally.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Sweat! Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 AM

also you should get a led for when its on because you can really hurt your tranny if you leave it on.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only use mine while towing and I make sure I don't shift locked up...I'm just a nervous type. Sure does make towing in the mtns pleasurable when you have 2nd locked up and your tranny temps stay nice and cool. I second the LED.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM

but i will tell you this much, with a billet tranny that thing shifts hard and fast!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
I only use mine while towing and I make sure I don't shift locked up... I second the LED.
Follow this excellent advice for a stock tranny and you will be OK!. And turn it on after in your gear of choice.
LED will protect your tranny cause it's easy to get busy and forget you're in locked mode. Love mine....

Tricky wiring the LED, IMO, cause you want it ON when everything is grounded out.
Elecrical stuff is my weekness, anyway, so I got DTR's 'HotDram', an Electrical Engineer, to wire it for me!

RJ
Old 05-11-2009, 03:57 PM

yea i havnt been using mine because i forgot to unlock when i was on the freeway and i hit traffic slammed my brakes on and nearly grenaded my stock tranny so im not using it till i get the led. any one have the wiring diagram for this?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM

I had one but was greek to me!
I do remember it takes a double pole, double ?? (something else). Not much help, I'm afraid.

RJ
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM

hmm well rowj i am lost. lol im sure someone has a diagram. maybe i will start a new thread for it.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM

When installing the switch and led, use a relay connected to the brake pedal so that you don't have to remember to unlock the converter in a panic situation.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 PM

I have run into the same problems trying to wire a LED or a lighted switch. I believe the switch to use is a double pole double throw, but I'm an Industrial Engineer not an Electrical... As soon as I get a chance (late this week) I'll try out a DPDT switch and see what happens. A single throw single pole will not work in conjunction with an LED but will work fine to turn the TC on and off.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Strong05
I have run into the same problems trying to wire a LED.... I believe the switch to use is a double pole double throw....
That's the one, Brad!
Someday I'm going to master this electrical stuff... so little time and so many items on the list. .

Originally Posted by HotRodTodd
When installing the switch and led, use a relay connected to the brake pedal so that you don't have to remember to unlock....
Heard these work well....just never got that far.
And there are times when some of us might want brakes w/o unlocking converter.... like a steep grade and a heavy load or decending a long hill.

RJ

Quick Reply: Mystery switch + stock TC=???