24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My old truck is lacking power

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure the fittings are factory.
The Fuel gauage is hooked up on the shrader valve on the Inj pump.

Your numbers sound really low, everyting I have read is anything below 5 PSI is dangerous.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The VP44 and lift pump failures are the oldest topics of discussion hereon DTR. I won't try to rehash a decade of debate.

I would just point out that no one has ever proven that a given level of fuel pressure improves VP reliability. The theory that a weak lift pump takes out the VP has been repeated so many times that it is accepted gospel. Yet, no one has ever proven A causes B.

The problem is that this kind of "proof" would require you to demonstrate some sufficient inlet pressure above which VP44 life would be acceptable. That simply cannot be done.

My VP44 failed with plenty of fuel pressure (8+) at only 40k miles. My replacement pump now has 50K on it with less pressure and is doing fine. Proof? Hardly.

My point is-- for every pump that failed with 10psi of inlet pressure, there is one that survives just fine at 5psi-- or less.

If you feel like you need more pressure, then there's not really any harm (though Bosch has an internal pressure relief at 14psi, so they seem to want to keep inlet pressure < 14psi). But more pressure is not some kind of magic that will ensure long pump life.

If you want your pump to last as long as it can, then it is better to focus on 1) using quality fuel that is extra clean (highly filtered), and 2) the lubricity of your fuel.

JMO
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
The VP44 and lift pump failures are the oldest topics of discussion hereon DTR. I won't try to rehash a decade of debate.

I would just point out that no one has ever proven that a given level of fuel pressure improves VP reliability. The theory that a weak lift pump takes out the VP has been repeated so many times that it is accepted gospel. Yet, no one has ever proven A causes B.

The problem is that this kind of "proof" would require you to demonstrate some sufficient inlet pressure above which VP44 life would be acceptable. That simply cannot be done.

My VP44 failed with plenty of fuel pressure (8+) at only 40k miles. My replacement pump now has 50K on it with less pressure and is doing fine. Proof? Hardly.

My point is-- for every pump that failed with 10psi of inlet pressure, there is one that survives just fine at 5psi-- or less.

If you feel like you need more pressure, then there's not really any harm (though Bosch has an internal pressure relief at 14psi, so they seem to want to keep inlet pressure < 14psi). But more pressure is not some kind of magic that will ensure long pump life.

If you want your pump to last as long as it can, then it is better to focus on 1) using quality fuel that is extra clean (highly filtered), and 2) the lubricity of your fuel.

JMO
Thanks Hohn, your credentials lead me to believe you know what you are talking about. I am still switching over fromt eh in tank pump to a FAAS, the pump has over 300,000 miles on it and I don't trust it now. Thanks again for the insight.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:43 PM

My personal opinion is that there are cheaper options than a FASS that deliver better results-- jmo.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:16 PM

What is a good replacement pump?

Originally Posted by HOHN
My personal opinion is that there are cheaper options than a FASS that deliver better results-- jmo.
What is a good, dependable replacement lift pump? Not trying to build 500hp, just keeping a stock motor running good?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 PM

The Walbro fuel pumps are well-established to do well. They have plenty of fuel volume and pressure, and last pretty well. Walbro is an OEM supplier to Ford, and they make good pumps.

Aftermarket- I prefer the Aeromotive fuel pumps. They also last a long time in this application.

The best ways to make sure a pump lasts are:
1) Mount in a low-vibration area
2) Install some measure of upstream filtration (but not too restrictive!)
3) Only use as much fuel pressure as you need. Use a bypass regulator to drop fuel pressure and take some load off the pump.

Unless you want to go through the hassle of re-engineering your entire fuel delivery system, I'd just replace the OEM lift pump in the tank with another in-tank-capable fuel pump like the Aeromotive or Walbro pumps.

I think maybe glacier diesel carries them, but I don't know. I have no affiliation with Glacier Diesel.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Sent the FASS back, went with a new OEM in tank pump, got 14 lbs idle and 11-12 at WOT.. Now need to pull a load and see how it runs.