24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is My Injector Pump Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is My Injector Pump Dead?

A few days ago my truck died, the same way one dies when you run out of fuel. It was not out fuel. I have read everything I could find on the forums and elsewhere. I first tried the bump the starter trick several times to prime the fuel system and get it to start with no change. I flow tested the lift pump and it pumped about 48 oz of fuel in 25 seconds. From what I understand that is acceptable flow. I noticed while I was messing with it that the pump makes two different noises, the normal noise and ocassionally a noise with more of a click sound to it. It made nothing but the normal noise when I flow tested. I don't have a pressure guage. I then took one of the injector lines loose at the motor to see if it had air in it. I cranked on it 3 seperate time for about 30 seconds each and nothing came out, no air, nothing. I also checked for codes and there were not any. Could it be that the lift pump was malfunctioning periodically and caused the injector pump to fail suddenly? I only have 56000 miles on it and it has never had any problems. I am getting ready to have it towed to the dealer but I wanted to get your opinions on what it might be so I will know if the dealer is trying to screw me. It is under warranty and while it is there I want to make sure they fix it right. With your help I can sound a lot smarter. So what do you think?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You sound pretty smart already.

Injection pumps have been known to die without any help from the lift pump,
mine did 3 months off the lot with only 4,000 miles on the odometer.
Still have the original lift pump 3 years and 43,000 miles later.

You can check for codes, if you have the dreaded P 0216, the Dealership shouldn't give you any problems.

Turn the ignition to on (but don't crank or start), then off, then on, then off, then on leaving it on and watching the odometer window.

Write down what you see and check back, or if you are a do-it-yourself kind of guy,
you can check one of these sites:

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/96-01.shtml

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/99-01trk.shtml

If you see a P 1693, that is a code in one module saying there is a code in another module.
If that is the only code you get, that means there is another code that can't be retrieved without the official Dodge DRB Code Reader.

Almost forgot the official welcome.
Welcome! enjoy your stay.

phox
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bet you get 1693 and P0216, I am starting to believe that it is weather activated. More and more about the VP44 just being a trouble maker, not all caused by Lift Pump failure. ??
If you do a search you will see that it is a popular thing in the past month or so.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by pjsnyder76
I am starting to believe that it is weather activated.
Definitely...the VP-44 does not like hot ambient temperatures. I would guess more of them fail in the heat of the summer rather than in the winter
Old 06-29-2005, 06:04 PM

I checked codes and all I got was "P Done". Would it die without any throwing any codes? By the way I only sound pretty smart because I spent several hours reading everything I could find in this forum yesterday. This is a very informative place.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:07 PM

how did you check the codes??

Cycling the key or a code reader?? Cycling the key doesnt always show codes.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:10 PM

I checked by cycling the key.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:13 PM

In most cases you will get the P1693 when there is another nonvisible code.

It wouldnt hurt to have it scanned anyway.

When you bump the starter (engage the starter but not start the truck) can you hear the lift pump run?? (should run for around 25 sec), From the flow test it sounds like you should be getting enough fuel.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Oh, I should add,
when my VP44 died there were no codes, either with the key on/off method, or the Dealerships scanner.

phox
Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My VP pump was just replaced. It had all of 40K on it. Never had low FP problems or any other warning signs. it just up and died. I suspect that this sometimes happens.

I wonder if those trucks used mostly on the hwy have longer lasting VP44s because there's more airflow at hwy speeds? Wouldn't this reduce VP operating temp?

I'm becoming pretty certain that HEAT is public enemy #1 when it comes to injection pump life. It used to be that we always blamed bad lift pumps and lack of lubrication. I'm becoming more convinced that the vast majority of recent VP failures are ELECTRICAL, and come from overheating the electronics on the top of the pump.

jlh
Old 06-29-2005, 09:33 PM

georgemgeorge,

do you live in a warmer climate?? Southern US??
Old 06-29-2005, 09:56 PM

I live in Deep East Texas. Got up to 99 degrees today.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by georgemgeorge
I live in Deep East Texas. Got up to 99 degrees today.
Uh huh...interesting....Pack you're VP in dry ice...

Spent some time around Beaumont...Love it down there.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by HOHN
My VP pump was just replaced. It had all of 40K on it. Never had low FP problems or any other warning signs. it just up and died. I suspect that this sometimes happens.

I wonder if those trucks used mostly on the hwy have longer lasting VP44s because there's more airflow at hwy speeds? Wouldn't this reduce VP operating temp?

I'm becoming pretty certain that HEAT is public enemy #1 when it comes to injection pump life. It used to be that we always blamed bad lift pumps and lack of lubrication. I'm becoming more convinced that the vast majority of recent VP failures are ELECTRICAL, and come from overheating the electronics on the top of the pump.

jlh
Hohn, I think you raise a good point about heat. I've seen literally dozens of these trucks with lift pumps that have likely been dead for months, and after LP replacement the VP44's are still working fine. Also, I work on several GM 6.5's, which have a very trouble prone driver module attached to the side of the pump. Heat is the number 1 killer of these modules, but the upside here is that this module is replaceable independently of the injector pump. Several companies are making a finned metal heat sink to remotely mount this driver module to keep it cool. It would be nice if this was possible with the VP44 module.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Chapter President

I pretty much agree with the heat problem.....but, as I understand it, the VP44 is only cooled and lubricated by the diesel passing through it. Wouldn't a strong LP with good pressure and flow, stock or otherwise, insure better cooling then one that is weak and with low pressure? Maybe it's the hot weather AND the weak LP.

Quick Reply: Is My Injector Pump Dead?