24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My fuel system setup Finally done

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fuel system setup Finally done

Here is my Fuel system setup. I did this freehand on Photoshop.<br>This is working really well. at the bottom is my readings of PSI<br><br><br><br><br>Here is the Filter Mounted in the hollow of the bed right behind the cab. The top hose is the return from the regulator, the left is the main feed to the Pusher, one of the rights is from the tank and one of them is for the one-way bypass for the pusher pump<br><br><br><br><br>Here is the Pusher pump I have mounted on the frame and the one way checkvalve for incase the pusher fails<br><br><br><br>Pic of Aeromotive Reg. Installed<br><br><br><br>And a pic of the Regulator itself. Aeromotive # AEI-13301<br><br> <br><br>This setup with the adjustable Regulator is giving me at idle 15PSI, When accel. it drops to 13 or 14 then back to 15 even on freeway. Under WOT it don't go below 13 psi. Flow is increased because of the small head preassure at the filter so even the Pusher pump don't have to work hard.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:My fuel system setup Finally done

Looks nice, and to each his own, but to me it looks like it is way overdone. I'm not trying to insult your work, as you may have special reasons for doing it that way you did, but I would like to make sure others know it does not necessarily need to be that complicated. <br><br>It is possible to just put a fuel pump on and replace the restrictive lines without all of those sensors and valves in the mix. In my case I could see no reason to keep the stock fuel pump in the system, as it requires restictive banjo bolts, and would negate the 1/2 lines I replaced the rest of the system with.<br><br>Chris
Old 04-30-2003, 06:33 PM

Restrictive???<br>WOT at 12-14 psi and cruise, no matter what, no lower than 2 psi and I am making 331 HP and 817 tq. The rear filter with the sensors and stuff help the fron filter last twuice as long and keeps the pumps clean. The red handled valve also serves as a Anti-Theft Device.<br><br>I belive this system is now more reliable for one, even the pusher pump has a small head preassure and the #'s of the PSI is more even across the board.<br>
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 PM

Eric..no offense man, you should have been a plumber instead of a driver!~r ;D I to have a simpler system, a pusher pump to the lift pump, enlarged fuel lines, 50,000 miles no problem. On long trips, I take along a spare lift &amp; pusher pump. Looking at your diagram, it appears your fuel regulator is only regulating the fuel pressure to your fuel pressure gauge?? If it truely is plumbed the way it is drawn, Your fuel pressure is greater at the fuel filter then your fuel presure gauge is reading?? Perhaps I'm missing some lines or valves not drawn? It might help me to understand better, if you put arrows on the diagram showing fuel flow.<br><br>Steve
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote author=EricBu12 link=board=4;threadid=14144;start=0#133743 date=1051745620]<br>Restrictive???<br>WOT at 12-14 psi and cruise, no matter what, no lower than 2 psi and I am making 331 HP and 817 tq. [/quote]<br><br>Can I assume you typoed and meant &quot;no less than 12 psi at all times&quot;? If that wasn't a typo you still have a problem.<br><br>Chris
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Banned

I hope so to. I like my system. Just a Holley pump with larger lines and banjo fittings. K.I.S.S. Nice setup though. Maybe later on down the road, you can up the pressure a bit for some extra fuel if you ever do anymore mods to it.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:56 AM

The Regulator Regulates PSI....PSI is PSI no matter where it is. If I took a mechanical guage and put it by the filter, it would be the same on my guage. There is a return line to the rear filter from the regulator so when PSI gets to 15, the valve opens and diverts it to the rear. I don't see how even on this setup, the PSI can be higher at the front filter.<br><br>Yeah I meant no Lower than 12 PSI.... Dang small Laptop keyboard.....I have a LAN cable from our livingroom to the Cable router and main computer down in the basement so I can surf and watch TV ;D<br><br>Funny thing on this, when it is cold outside, the PSI at idle is about 16, when hot like 70 or so, it is a little under 15. Still deverts 2 PSI difference no matter what I am doing, just 1 lower. So like 16 and no lower than 14..........or 15 and no lower than 13 or 12. <br><br>If I ever do anything to it, I might get a good single pump to put back by the tank and forget the stocker, but for now, everything is OK
Old 05-01-2003, 07:36 PM

I think I would put the regulater infront of that &quot;T&quot; fitting comming out of the stock lift pump. That way it regulates what is sent to the engine, not what is returned to the rear.

Of course I am not a fluid enginer either.

Andrew
Old 05-03-2003, 11:26 PM

I don't know,<br><br> As I said before, PSI is PSI, it don't know where it is. If I put the regulator before the &quot;T&quot; and the Sender off the &quot;T&quot;, It would be the same. When PSI gets to 15, the valve opens. since all the lines are connected, the PSI will be regulated to 15 PSI from the lift pump to the filter and everywhere inbetween.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:31 PM

TTT<br>Let the newbies see it. this is working very well<br>
Old 05-22-2003, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually it looks more complicated than it is. He just ahs a pusher pump and then added a regulator. Then he added a primary filter, which would probably be better if it was a sock type or what ever, just to strain out the flies. The only change I would have made is to regulate it after the filter which would not have the filter resistance affecting the pressure. Good design though. I question the teflon tape on all those fittings. One small piece getting in the system can screw it all up. I think it was in one of the Cat manuals, to never use that stuff ahead of the fuel system injector pump.<br><br>I would like to offer a cheap fuel line that I have used all over my trucks, including the fuel lines. It is air brake hose and fittings. It is teflin lined and unaffected by pressure or heat unless you get it against the exhaust system. Pressure tests over 150 pounds and comes in any size up to 5/8 or so. Been thinking of tapping out the filter fittings and using 1/2 or 5/8 on mine. Uses compression fittings with a sleeve liner to keep it from collapsing at the ferral.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:53 PM

All the stuff with the Teflon is before the reg filter so if any does get into the lines, it will go to the filter and stop.<br>The regulator is off the dead end to the FP sender so all the flow goes to the filter. the reg. just regulates the PSI. <br><br>The Pre filter is a strainer type. a 30 micron spin on with a water separator and a WIF sensor . there is also a sep. fuel heater that works when the front stock one works. It is connected by a relay and direct power to it.<br><br>anyway, so far no problems<br>