24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler

I was crawling around the ground the other day celebrating the fact the snow has all melted and noticed that there is a small hole in my muffler. I think I'm going to try to put a small patch on it because its only a small ( size of a head of a small nail) hole and the rest of the muffler is in perfect shape. My question is when I go to replace the factory one what should I replace it with? I may not have to replace anything else (I'm hoping ). Should I just go to the dealer and pick one up or go aftermarket. I don't have any mods. or plan on any but is there an advantage to change to something else. The original lasted 6 years in our salty environment so a stock one is doable. I don't need fancy or stainless just a good quality piece. I am in Canada and have a 2001.5.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 PM

I put on a dynomax race magnum bullit muffler, had to add some pipe but that's no big deal and it sounds awsome. Are you sure the small hole is not a drain hole for moisture?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:41 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd replace it with a patch,..... a patch of 4" pipe.

Straighten that thing out!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Chapter President

These things have mufflers??? Ditto PJ!! Some folks like them toned down though.

I'd drive it till it fell off then worry about it. Just my .02 though.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
P.J
Banned

Mine fell off too, with the help of an air chisel and 8lb. hammer in my driveway.

I had a "Diamond Eye" on my 2001.5, it came with the Warpspeed exhaust, I actually liked that muffler, but NONE for me now on the 3rd Gen.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 PM

I hope you know that mufflers have small condensation drain hole in some. Run it until it falls apart.
bazdad
Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 AM

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Yes I know about the drain holes but I also know what rust looks like,lol, the hole is in the 4 o'clock position 2/3's of the way back. Looks like maybe where a baffle could be welded inside. So you think no muffler is the way to go. What about where I live we have to have a yearly safety inspection, I wonder if we actually need a muffler?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by old 300
Thanks guys for the quick replies. Yes I know about the drain holes but I also know what rust looks like,lol, the hole is in the 4 o'clock position 2/3's of the way back. Looks like maybe where a baffle could be welded inside. So you think no muffler is the way to go. What about where I live we have to have a yearly safety inspection, I wonder if we actually need a muffler?
Uh, where do you live? We don't have inspection here, neither yearly for any autos or emissions for diesels.
No muffler needed here. It is going to be quite a bit louder than with the muffler though, when you get on it.

Heres where I got my system from:
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/
Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clicked on the warpspeed site and noticed that the red truck is mine. Had my system installed ~3 1/2 yrs ago.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:32 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by shortround
Clicked on the warpspeed site and noticed that the red truck is mine. Had my system installed ~3 1/2 yrs ago.
I had good luck with them, they were very reasonably priced and didn't smoke me on shipping. IIRC, I got a complete,4" turbo back system with muffler and optional delete pipe for $319.00 shipped. (two year old pricing)
Old 03-16-2007, 02:44 PM

I live in eastern Canada. Our government has so must free time on their hands I swear that they must sit around a very large table and have meetings on how to make life difficult for the people. They came out with a new one here last month. Not only do they do yearly Motor vehicle inspections, but now part of this is taking all 4 wheels off and going into the brakes. We have a sticker in the corner of the windshield and the first thing they do is remove it. Then if the vehicle fails the inspection you can't drive your car. It has to be fixed on site before it can move. I know a guy who took his car in and thought it was in perfect condition but got a call saying it needed brake work and it was going to cost $1100.00. Before this they put on a rejection sticker that gave you 10 days to get the work done, not anymore. Now that being said I don't want to be on the roads with bad brakes but my point is do you always trust the shop you have taken you vehicle. Its in their hands, if they say its broke guess what. I had the wife's mini-van to the dealer for service last fall. The service guy told me that the front brakes were worn out and only 20% left. He didn't think it would make it to the next service. I said that was OK I would replace them myself. He said I shouldn't because of the special tools required, but I thought how had is it to pull a couple calipers. Long story short I pulled the calipers and the brakes were like new.
That is my point about the muffler, were we live its a joke, they are so serious about that stuff it makes you scared to try something new.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by old 300
I live in eastern Canada. Our government has so must free time on their hands I swear that they must sit around a very large table and have meetings on how to make life difficult for the people. They came out with a new one here last month. Not only do they do yearly Motor vehicle inspections, but now part of this is taking all 4 wheels off and going into the brakes. We have a sticker in the corner of the windshield and the first thing they do is remove it. Then if the vehicle fails the inspection you can't drive your car. It has to be fixed on site before it can move. I know a guy who took his car in and thought it was in perfect condition but got a call saying it needed brake work and it was going to cost $1100.00. Before this they put on a rejection sticker that gave you 10 days to get the work done, not anymore. Now that being said I don't want to be on the roads with bad brakes but my point is do you always trust the shop you have taken you vehicle. Its in their hands, if they say its broke guess what. I had the wife's mini-van to the dealer for service last fall. The service guy told me that the front brakes were worn out and only 20% left. He didn't think it would make it to the next service. I said that was OK I would replace them myself. He said I shouldn't because of the special tools required, but I thought how had is it to pull a couple calipers. Long story short I pulled the calipers and the brakes were like new.
That is my point about the muffler, were we live its a joke, they are so serious about that stuff it makes you scared to try something new.
Man, I feel for you people in Canada, such a beautiful country, ------ya'll need to clean house in your elections, although we're a few years behind you in the "feel good and warm and fuzzy" we'll be there right behind you I'm sure.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:16 PM

I don't mean to get political but, were all in for a big suprise if we dont stand up for our freedom in the U.S.. It needs to start with the Fair tax bill http://www.fairtax.org/.No more income tax taken out of you pay check, you keep all of your pay check and pay the federal tax on retail purchases,when and where you want. That means everyone that dosen't pay taxes(illegal aliens)will no longer be able to duck the system, and you will still get a return. Visit the site for an enlightening lesson on a bright future.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced mine with a 51" semi truck muffler and a couple of adapters for ~$75.00 total. I went with a TruckEx AP3891 which is a cross to both Donaldson and Nelson 4" in/out straight muffler. It sounds awesome, but retains the quiet factor for neighbors and LEO's. It fits perfectly in the same space as the resonator and stock muffler. Both of my 'cans were rusting through, and the wife hated the loud hissing/noises from the failing muffler. Now she loves the truck again!! You can get the AP3891 from Mutual Wheel, on the internet.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM

When I got my truck it was straight piped, then after a few months of my driving the welds came apart where they added the straight pipe and it was dragin and clanging. Upgraded to a 4in Silverline Exhaust turbo back. It cost around $500 or $550 but I still thought it was a good price and it is warrentied to never rust.

Quick Reply: Muffler